what does a green/blue shine mean

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rita2paul, Oct 22, 2018.

1. rita2paul

rita2paul Songster

Aug 31, 2011
    Gloucestershire
    can anyone tell me if you have a black chicken with a blue/green shine on feathers in the sunlight does that mean it is a cockerel, or can hens have the same.

AngiPorter likes this.
  2. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    Hens and roosters can have a greenish shine. It often shows on black feathers regardless of the sex of the bird. The shape of the feathers can indicate male or female after the chicken is around 4 months old.

AngiPorter, rita2paul, emrya and 2 others like this.
  3. Many black chickens have that greenish blue shine. Both males and females can have it.

rita2paul, AngiPorter and JedJackson like this.
  4. rita2paul

rita2paul Songster

Aug 31, 2011
    Gloucestershire
    thank you, i read on a forum that the blue green shine will indicate a cockerel, but i would put my money on mine being a hen, thank you.

AngiPorter likes this.
  5. Chickassan

Chickassan Crossing the Road

A couple of my known girls have that sheen the speckled sussex and buff brahma have it very strongly on their black parts. So that sheen isn't really a tell. I'd just wait on more indications, time is really the best judge and sometimes even it is wrong.:)

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Crowing

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Most all black chickens of any breed will have the green/blue/purple sheen.

7. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    My Black Ameraucana pullets have a beautiful green-blue-purple sheen when the sun hits their feathers.

rita2paul and AngiPorter like this.
  8. HeyHeyWW

HeyHeyWW Songster

Oct 9, 2017
    Florida
    Both black hens and roosters can have a green/blue shine, my rooster is white and has some gold-ish feathers on him and he has this ONE long black feather on his tail and it has a green/blue shine. I also had a hen that was black and she had the green/blue shine, so it can be for both genders. :)

rita2paul and AngiPorter like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: