What does a 'squat' look like

marshmellow

In the Brooder
10 Years
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
I have heard lots of references to your chickens doing 'the squat' - can someone please explain what that looks like?

Also is there any other laying behaviors that chickens have before getting ready to drop an egg?
Can you tell I'm egg anxious?

thanks

Sabrina

squats down. wings out (mainly just shoulders..) tail raised.

spending a lot of time in the nest, singing (clucking a lot. etc), and if you want.. pick them up and feel around their vent. you'll feel two bones. "believe they're called pelvic bones" if their close together.... far from laying. But if they seem wide enough for a egg to go through (i heard big enough to put your thumb in) they're going to lay soon. old timers told me this and i've been trying it. seems to be true

-Daniel

Edit. for the pelvic bones.. it changes for bantams though. believe it has to be your index finger for that.

you no, the same way people squat, their legs down, squating like you would to.... pee on the ground or squating to examine something on the floor, chookies do it when laying eggs, but a rooster won't ever squat

You will know when they do it. It's very apparent that it's the squat that everyone talks about.

Instead of running from you when you bend down to pat them they squat down. They don't move.

I wasn't sure what to expect either but the first time it happened i knew.

I can't think of anything else except that their waddles and combs become redder.

This might help-

As they get older, they exaggerate, tap-dance, lift tail and wings and generally romance your hand. If you're really lucky they may sing to you.
lol.png

Last edited:
Alright now I have a question. Is the mating squat and laying squat the same? My hens just started doing this when I pet them, just like the picture above. They definitley are putting their butts in the air like they think I am a rooster. And will they do this all the time now when they are touched on their backs?

Yes, a squat is a squat. If you give a good scratch to the base of the tail, and then stop, they will shake it off just as if they had just been mated. I think it is just a sign of submission.

That is so funny. I just thought it meant my "Ruby" really liked it when I petted her. Huh... learn something new everyday.
big_smile.png

LynneP - thanks for the picture! I was sure one of my girls had been squatting for a month now (and couldn't figure out why there were still no eggs), when today one of the other hens showed me the real thing! There's no mistaking it, that's for sure!

Back
Top Bottom