What does an EE cross produce?

joedie

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
SW Indiana
I have an EE roo and various breeds of hens. If I hatched any eggs would they carry EE characteristics like muffs or colored eggs since they would then only have 1/4 of the Americauna genes?:

Ameraucana/EE/Araucana roosters will have more gene in their offspring then the hen the roo chooses to mate with. So if it is a brown egglaying hen the roo and hen will make and olive colored egglaying hen (the egg would be olive colored not the hen) and so on.

Last edited:
I've heard you likely get more EE (blue/green egg gene) characteristics in offspring if you breed to a pea-combed hen. You need a dark egg layer like a welsummer or marans to get the really nice dark olive colored eggs.

I have two chickens whose Hen was a EE and the Rooster was a EO (Basque Chicken that lay a brown egg).

The offspring have greenish/blueish legs, no peacomb or muffs. They are beautiful colors but unfortunately they are Roosters so I don't know what the egg color would be. Curious what color the egg would be.

Does it have to be a EE Rooster to a brown egg laying hen to get a dark olive egg?

Your EE roo likely caries one blue gene, which he would give to approximately half of his offspring.

If you're crossing to straight comb girls, look for the chicks with pea combs to be EE's. If you're crossing him to pea or rose comb girls, it could be a bit harder to tell until maturity.

Back
Top Bottom