What does and egg song sound like?

mdpfeifer

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Creston
Hi,

I am totally new to chickens and have never had eggs nor heard any type of an egg song yet
smile.png
My pullets are 16 weeks old now and I am just curious as to what an egg song sounds like. For instance....bak bak bak bagaawwwkkk? Just interested in knowing if each chicken has their own individual egg song or if an egg song generally sounds the same, and what I might expect to hear hopefully sometime during the next month. Thanks and I look forward to your replies.

I didn't know what it would sound like either and I knew the second I did hear it. But some of mine do that, some coo, some 'talk' and some yell at the top of their lungs to let everyone know what's going on in the coop, lol. It's pretty interesting here in the morning. You'll love it!

The first - and every! - stanza of the Egg Song goes like this:

"Buk buk buk buk buk buk buk buk buk Buh-GAWK!!"

I have a recording of my Rebecca's Egg Song on my cell phone, lasting 3 minutes long, which I managed to catch one day. If you send me your e-mail address in a PM, I can e-mail a copy of it to you. (To anyone that requests it.)

My bantam games and jungle fowl shriek long and hard like they are PO'd when they are laying eggs and my silkie is more like a slow loud booookkkk, booookkkk, boooookk! My BR hen says buk buk buk bakawk!.... and the japanese bantams I had would pretty quietly cluck a few times.... lol I guess they can all be different in their own way, but you will learn quickly what it's gonna be, no mistaking an egg song after hearing it once or twice!

Back
Top Bottom