What does COB mean with horses?

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I bought some fly masks, and realize I got the wrong size for my dad's 'pony'. She is more of a small horse, or very large pony. I'm looking for one for her, but I'm finding ones that say foal/pony and pony/cob. What's the difference? I know what a foal is, so the foal/pony ones are probably for baby horses??

I've always been under the impression (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) that a cob horse is a small horse that is almost a pony, but not quite. I've always seen fly masks come in sizes ranging between pony, cob, medium, large, and extra large.

PICT0015.jpg

This is a pic of the horses. The one on the left is wearing an 'average' sized mask, the one in the center has a large on (a bit loose, but fits okay), and then there is the white one. Can you tell if she is a cob or a pony?
idunno.gif
Is there a big difference in the sizes for masks?

Measure around her face and compare to the other. It looks to me that she would wear the same size as the other. It is better that it fits a little loose than too tight. Which both of my horses wear large. They are jug heads.
ep.gif

Yes, a cob is a British term for heavy compact small-horse-or-large-pony... but in this context, "cob" means nothing whatsoever, it is just a size designation meaning "medium or medium-small"
tongue.png

And there is no standardization of fly mask or bridle sizes, so a horse that takes one size in one manufacturer's line may take a completely different size in a different manufacturer's line. Unfortunately you just have to try 'em on and see. A few fly mask mfr's offer measurement guidelines for supposedly selecting the right size, otherwise you just have to guess or find one to borrow to try for size. It can be annoying all right.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom