What does COB mean with horses?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by shelleyd2008, Sep 28, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I bought some fly masks, and realize I got the wrong size for my dad's 'pony'. She is more of a small horse, or very large pony. I'm looking for one for her, but I'm finding ones that say foal/pony and pony/cob. What's the difference? I know what a foal is, so the foal/pony ones are probably for baby horses??

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've always been under the impression (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) that a cob horse is a small horse that is almost a pony, but not quite. I've always seen fly masks come in sizes ranging between pony, cob, medium, large, and extra large.

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Cob is the size that is larger than pony size but smaller than horse size.

Lots of "Arabian" tack will fit cob size horses.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    [​IMG]

This is a pic of the horses. The one on the left is wearing an 'average' sized mask, the one in the center has a large on (a bit loose, but fits okay), and then there is the white one. Can you tell if she is a cob or a pony? [​IMG] Is there a big difference in the sizes for masks?

5. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    She looks to be a large pony or cob size to me. I bet a cob size would fit her just fine.

6. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Measure around her face and compare to the other. It looks to me that she would wear the same size as the other. It is better that it fits a little loose than too tight. Which both of my horses wear large. They are jug heads. [​IMG]

7. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
  8. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Yes, cob means small horse/large pony.

Connie

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, a cob is a British term for heavy compact small-horse-or-large-pony... but in this context, "cob" means nothing whatsoever, it is just a size designation meaning "medium or medium-small" [​IMG]

And there is no standardization of fly mask or bridle sizes, so a horse that takes one size in one manufacturer's line may take a completely different size in a different manufacturer's line. Unfortunately you just have to try 'em on and see. A few fly mask mfr's offer measurement guidelines for supposedly selecting the right size, otherwise you just have to guess or find one to borrow to try for size. It can be annoying all right.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

10. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The height of the horse is not the issue. Ponies can have a large head and wear a horse size. Try the masks you have on it. If it is too loose, get a cob size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by