1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What does cull mean?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Indianfeathers, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Indianfeathers

Indianfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG]

I am new to raising bardyard chickens and i keep seeing this word while reading some posts. i even looked it up in the dictionary!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

To remove from the flock....usually either by butchering, selling or if it's an injured or sick bird by killing it.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Yep, it simply means removing from the flock. It does not necessarily mean killing it.

4. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Technically.. and the way its used in many other animal hobbies, it means to kill the animal. On here.. people use 'cull' just to mean getting rid of the animal in one fashion or another, selling it, giving it away, killing it, ect. It really threw me for a loop when I first saw it used this way [​IMG]

5. ginbart

ginbart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Well now you learn something new everyday on here because I thought cull means to kill. So I guess everyone that said they needed to cull did not mean they were killing them. Boy I feel so much better. [​IMG]

I'm glad you ask that question. [​IMG]

Sorry needed to correct spelling.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  6. Indianfeathers

Indianfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Thank you to all that replied....that makes it so much clearer to me!!

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

To remove form the breeding pool-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by