what does everybody have planted in the fall gardens

Lordofchickens 86

Songster
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
The Burg FL
I live in Zone 8B in Florida ANd i have Collards,Mustards,Turnips,Beets,Carrots,and Mesculin salad Mix growing right now.Can't wait to eat all the delious produce.
big_smile.png

what does everyone else have growing

Last edited:
A snow fence!
lol.png

I have a lot of chard growing right now, as it's a favorite. Plus beets, parsnips and squash. I'm waiting for some frost to sweeten the parsnips before I harvest. Usually I have a few more different types of greens, and a couple of other things, but I couldn't garden as much this year.

There's still some tomatoes, peppers and beans left, too. They aren't actively growing, but are holding well on the plants. Most were eaten or put in the freezer. We've had some warmer than usual weather this fall. I'm ready at a moments notice to run out there and pick produce or drag something in for the night.
big_smile.png

I have a bunch of herbs out there that I've been harvesting and drying. Mints, parsley, basil and lemon verbena. We've been bringing in some things to over winter, like the stevia, coffee tree, tea plant and one of the lemon verbenas.

Your garden sounds great! I've never grown mustard.

This is my first year and I'm doing it with raised beds. Since I only had one bed filled with dirt, I have beans, garlic, peas, beets, and radishes there. I finally got the other beds filled yesterday so this weekend I'm putting in brussel sprouts, lettuce, broccoli, and more garlic.

I'm very new to gardening and so anything that grows is enough to excite me!!

Well, a couple of weeks ago I put a last planting of lettuce in and then forgot to cover the area, and of course the chickens romped around in there. Yesterday when I was mowing the lawn I noticed a fine crop of baby lettuce growing among the grass next to the garden...
tongue.png

I planted ice cubes, I'm hoping to grow a skating rink. Better put in some pucks and start some hockey sticks from toothpicks in the freezer too. The trick is getting them to bend at the right place.

Must be interesting living that far south. You can grow stuff all year. That'd be cool. At least we don't have poisonous snakes or spiders or fire ants up here. Bone chilling cold is good for something!

Quote:
when you live up there in the tundra what do you expect. i love it are coldest temps are 16 or so i hate winter that is why i love florida it only cold 2 or 3 months out of the year.cold for me im cold right now and its only 59 outside.florida boy born in raised.
lol.png

Last edited:
Nothing new planted....yet

But we have peppers that are two years old still going fine, corn with ears and a few squash

I will dig out most of it after the next rain, or just before and sow our cover crop seeds

Our winter garden is ready for garlic, onions, brocholi, peas and.....

We have tubs with herbs and spinach still growing too

I planted
Spinach
Radishes
Swiss Chard
Cilantro
Lot of different kinds of Lettuce
Cabbage
Nasturshims
Carrots

Some things are starting to sprout... and we are back to the mid 90's here! I was hoping for cooler weather now!

And, the four Hubbard Squash plants I have kept alive all summer, that only put out male flowers ... finally has ONE female flower, still a tiny baby, but there are a few tiny male flowers too... So..if the weather stays this warm, I might get one small Hubbard Squash, from a seed packet that bragged on making 20lb fruits!! Just not this year in AZ obviously!

Quote:
LOL, you were warmer a few days ago than we were down in the desert...waiting for cooler air to plant...O&L, I know Wright County well, grew up there (St. Michael, Buffalo, Monti, Maple Lake, etc.) many moons ago, moved back and still have a house there (rented), but so totally enjoying no winter
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom