what does everyone use for duckling bedding?

We just changed to wood pellets for bedding and I'm loving it.

We have a tray (just a rectangular lid from a plastic shoe box) under the water container (3lb sour cream tub with a section of the cover cut out) to catch most of the spillage but anything else just runs into the wood pellets and it soaks it up and turns it to sawdust. I've placed hay over 1/3 of the brooder, on top of the pellets, so they have a place to lay down in comfort. So far all I've had to do is change the hay every morning, and wash off the tray twice a day. I remove the hay and the tray, stir the pellets up a bit and replace the hay and tray. Although the smell is not gone (darn) it's greatly reduced. We're on day 4 with the pellets and I haven't had to replace them yet. I've got about 2 inches of pellets in a 50 gallon rubbermaid tote, 2 ducklings per tote.

Quote:
There are compostable puppy training pads. If you're paying I'd be happy to repackage them to say duckling pad and send you a package.
lol.png

"There are compostable puppy training pads. If you're paying I'd be happy to repackage them to say duckling pad and send you a
package. "

No kidding??!!!!!

Thanks!

Now I just have to find them . . . .

I love Wifezilla's setup - now, how to scale it up for eleven almost six-week old ducklings.

I just put our ducklings on aspen shavings. (We got the ducklings yesterday morning and put them on newspaper and paper toweling.) These are very fine shavings and they ARE eating them. I finally put newspaper over top, but they are still eating any shavings they find.

Do I need to go back to newspaper and paper towels? I really don't want them getting impacted.

Quote:
I use wood pellet for the older animals chickens and turkeys they are the best I swear they last forever.....I pay 5 dollars for a 50 pound bag really good deal at my local farm feed store.

Thanks! I have been thinking about the equine pellets. Are they the ones to which you add water?

(Note - I am allergic to pine shavings . . . so far hardwood shavings perhaps mixed with a little straw is my plan. We are still on towels.)

Back
Top Bottom