What does Fryers mean?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Billy Bob Neck, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Billy Bob Neck

Billy Bob Neck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2008
    I remember my Grandmaw (God rest her soul) calling her chickens "Fryers". Is this a type of chicken? If not, what would be yer best guess of the type of chicken she had.

BBN

2. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Cornish Cross Chickens..they are specially bread to grow faster so you can have nice plump chicken when they're young

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Not exactly.

Before Cornish Crosses came along (1950's) all the cockrels born to egg laying breeds/crosses were turned into meat chickens and raised to about 3 lbs live weight. A fryer was simply a young chicken around 2 lbs dressed weight. They were most often leghorn cockrels.

There is still a law on the books in Washington regulating the labeling of "fryers", the age of the birds, the origin, etc.

The meat chicken industry changed a lot and now you do not see the term very often, except to mean a smaller chicken than a roaster. Terms do vary by region. But generally today you will hear the term roaster or broiler instead of fryer.

With that said, I still sometimes see bags of feed labeled "broiler starter/finisher" and "fryer starter/finisher". There is no difference.

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    as said a fryer is a rooster that weighs 3 to 5lbs.anything over that is called a rooster.but the truth is most all broilers are fryers.an the spent hens from egg farms are called stewing hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by