What does Fryers mean?

Billy Bob Neck

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 6, 2008
I remember my Grandmaw (God rest her soul) calling her chickens "Fryers". Is this a type of chicken? If not, what would be yer best guess of the type of chicken she had.

BBN

Not exactly.

Before Cornish Crosses came along (1950's) all the cockrels born to egg laying breeds/crosses were turned into meat chickens and raised to about 3 lbs live weight. A fryer was simply a young chicken around 2 lbs dressed weight. They were most often leghorn cockrels.

There is still a law on the books in Washington regulating the labeling of "fryers", the age of the birds, the origin, etc.

The meat chicken industry changed a lot and now you do not see the term very often, except to mean a smaller chicken than a roaster. Terms do vary by region. But generally today you will hear the term roaster or broiler instead of fryer.

With that said, I still sometimes see bags of feed labeled "broiler starter/finisher" and "fryer starter/finisher". There is no difference.

as said a fryer is a rooster that weighs 3 to 5lbs.anything over that is called a rooster.but the truth is most all broilers are fryers.an the spent hens from egg farms are called stewing hens.

Back
Top Bottom