What does it mean in rooster speak?

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
My rooster used to do the one wing drag hopping dace at me when he saw me. Then usually I would be able to pick him up.

But, we have a bad hawk problem at the moment - I saw 5 of them yesterday! So the flock has been confined for several days. They're not overcrowded, but they are accustomed to free range and don't seem happy about their confinement. (Maybe I am anthropomorphizing some I miss them around the yard.)

Anyway, now when I approach the run the roo puffs up his neck feathers into a crown and wags his head from side to side.

What's he saying? Or is he just getting more male? He's clearly been at the girls alot, but no harm to any - yet.

the wing dance is courting, the ruffled feathers are a warning. Grab him up and carry him around, show him your boss.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

seious;y its a wrning , keep in mind all the hawks flying in and out, he is protecting his women.

Reassure him by handling him. He is out of whack at the change in routine and having the hawks present. He's telling you to back off. If you want him to stay a pet you need to let him know you are not a threat to his flock. Pick him up and tote him around a while. If he gets the idea he is dominant to you he may start being nasty toward you.

I have a big 'ol funny BO roo that will do this to me when he wants me to come into the run and pick him up.

He has a routine:

Puffs up his hackles at me and makes a GWWAAAA sound, shakes his head back and forth. He will do this several times until I enter the run, then we have the pretend chase back to the far left corner of the run, always the same corner. As I approach the corner he just stops and stands still for me to reach down and pick him up.

Some roosters do play their little rooster games.

Okay, so how do you catch the little snots if they don't want to be caught?
Both of mine have done the neck ruffle thing to me. I generally "kick" at them when they come towards me and whack them on the back of the head with a bamboo stick. It's hard to catch them for the holding session though. I generally end up stomping around the yard behind them explaining loudly that they will not behave this way and that I WILL make pot pie out of them if they don't straighten up. The roosters run spastically in front of me making little worried chicken sounds. The neighbors all think I'm crazy.

Back
Top Bottom