what does it mean when my chickens try to eat me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickchick, Dec 13, 2007.

1. chickchick

chickchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    Every time I'm out in the garden with the chickens, they all peck at me. They peck at my legs, and nip at my coat, sometimes if I am wearling thin clothes it hurts!

Anyone know what this means????

I hope they don't think I am a predator, we adore the chickens, but I'm not so sure they all adore us in return.....

Any thoughts?

2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I would have to guess they think you are bringing them treets, and are not sure where the treets stop and you body begins.

Or it may mean your chickens think you look like a piece of Corn.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    They're hungry? [​IMG]

4. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    My partridge rocks are by far my peckiest chickens. oddly though they are the first ones to jump in my lap for attention so I say they are love pecks LOL [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have several who pull at my jeans when they want to be picked up; unfortunately, sometimes, they get a little skin with the denim, LOL.

6. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Two of my girls do that. I think it's their way of saying "look at me! feed me first" they are the most friendly as well...so I think it's a communication thing they do.

7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Mine do that when they want something to eat, because they know I'm the one that brings them food.

8. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    How many birds do you have and how much per bird are you feeding them. Also what are you feeding them?

Arklady

9. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I have a Buff Rock that does that everytime I am in the run - she does not want to be picked - just wants the treats before everyone else ! so now I make it a habit to make sure I have blue jeans so so at least they are thicker and give alittle protection. I made the mistake of sitting in a chair in the run and Miss Peaches keep pulling at my jeans - she managed to put a hole in my pants !!
    Oh well at least I know they are not afraid of me LOL

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
    Julie

10. chickchick

chickchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    I have 6 birds, they have all day access to a feeder with organic layer pellets and mixed in with some crumble chick feed. I dose out heardy size scoops of 5 grain scratch in the am and whenever I go out I usually give them some more. They play all day in the backyard, eating all sorts of cover crops I planted for them, bugs and grass.

They don't eat the food in the feeder much, I often have to toss it once it gets old or when I see their poop in it.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by