What does it mean when my pullets lay down on their sides and puff up?

urbanfarmqueen

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
Los Angeles
Hey Everyone, What does it mean when my pullets lay down on their side and puff up around my bigger girls?
This week I started taking my 6 week old pullets outside when warm, secure and separate in a critter cage to hang out with my other full grown free ranging hens. I want to incorporate them all together in a few more weeks so I thought this was a good exercise, but I noticed that sometimes when a wild bird flies over or one of my older girls comes close to the pullets, the pullets will sometimes lay on their side and puff out their feathers, especially the feathers on the back of their necks. I assume this is a submissive or fear response? Just curious.

Fred's Hens :

Sure they aren't just taking a Dust bath? Hmmmmmm Mine perk up stiff, then head to an evergreen tree for cover.

That's what I thought. I use to think they were dead when relaxed in sun and legs splayed out in odd fashion.​

No attacking because they are in a cage outside with the older gals. Its not dust bathing either, because there is no scooting or scratching with their legs besides they are in a cage and aren't touching enough earth. Also the behavior only lasts a few seconds then they stand back up again.

I would say sunbathing as well. They love to lay in the sun and it looks very odd to see a chicken lay on there side. Maybe try to post a pic. We could tell you for sure then.

does it kinda look like this?
107290_dog_kennel_run_006.jpg

Back
Top Bottom