What does it physically feel like to cut a chickens head off?

That sounds great but you don't always have the luxury of waiting for someone else to do it. My vet would be at a half hour drive even if they agreed to see the chicken me and at best they've managed to shove us in at the end of the day's schedule to put down an animal.

Is it better to let a hawk attack victim, torn open with her guts spilling out, suffer an hour, just to wait for someone to come home to do the job for you, or to end it immediately yourself?

To me the greater kindness is the latter. I wasn't happy to do it but at least I knew I minimized her suffering as much as I could.
Fair point :)

I would do it myself especially if it was a chicken I particularly loved. The most humane thing is to end their suffering as quickly as possible, and who's better to do it, the person who loves the chicken, in the place they call home, in familiar surroundings and no fear? Or after a scary car ride to the vet, in a place it doesn't know, by someone who it doesn't know, in fear? I understand the sentiment... but anthropomorphizing animals usually does them more of a disservice than good. No judgement from me at all though, and I mean it. We all have to do what we believe is best for our animals.
True. I've never done it myself though. You have a good point. But I just...couldn't.

If you are really curious about how it is to cut a chickens neck you can always buy turkey necks and practice. That's the cheapest way to practice. Or you can buy whole chickens with head still attached at most Asian grocery store. To make the cutting easier you can also pluck some of the neck feathers away from the side where you are going to chop.

My kids see the chickens as pets so I can't ever serve our chickens for dinner. Therapy is ganna cost too much to save on a meal. Chickens get a proper funeral just like the gold fish.

Ditto Dat!!

I use the broomstick method of CD for euthanizing a bird I'm not going to eat.
Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,
Click the 'Watch this video on YouTube'
it's the only CD video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

-Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.
-Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck close to the skull, this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.
This is a fascinating thread. I am very thankful for the intelligent dialogue and the care to help us newbies with this learning curve....

I believe these would work.
It would work, but let me share something I have learned about knives and blood.

I used to work in a morgue assisting autopsies. The pathologist used a long knife that had replaceable blades. In the course of the work, blood would get into the metal pieces that held the blades. The office manager came one day to change the blades on knife handles, and the blood had dried and hardened and the blade wouldn't come out. The end result of her efforts was a huge slice across her hand and lots of infectious disease testing.

Obviously we aren't concerned as much about infectious disease, but rather than using something with a replaceable blade where blood and things can get in and cause problems, I would recommend a full tang knife and a good honing steel. We use Victorinox over here.

Something else to be aware of, for the person new to processing animals; a sharp blade will collect a layer of film on the edge as its used. Eventually as the film builds up the blade will stop cutting well as if its been dulled when it really hasn’t been. If you keep a damp washcloth on hand and regularly wipe the blade you can keep the film off of it and get more use out of your knife before you need to touch up the blade or switch knives.

Last edited:
I used to work in a morgue assisting autopsies. The pathologist used a long knife that had replaceable blades. In the course of the work, blood would get into the metal pieces that held the blades. The office manager came one day to change the blades on knife handles, and the blood had dried and hardened and the blade wouldn't come out. The end result of her efforts was a huge slice across her hand and lots of infectious disease testing.
Ugh, you would think they would have dropped that knife in some sort of liquid when done with it to keep it from crusting up... Heck, Listerine would work, it's liquid and should kill most bugs that hit it... If I'm not cleaning something immediately I always leave it in liquid (water or oil depending on if it's going to rust or not)

It would work, but let me share something I have learned about knives and blood.

Obviously we aren't concerned as much about infectious disease, but rather than using something with a replaceable blade where blood and things can get in and cause problems, I would recommend a full tang knife and a good honing steel. We use Victorinox over here.
That’s definitely something to think about. Thanks for mentioning that!

Back
Top Bottom