What does it take to get lavender mottled?

Thanks for the reply Kev.

So a mottled lavender rooster over lavender hens would make the chicks lavender split for mottled, and if I breed the females back to the lavender mottled rooster I will end up with half mottled lavender and half lavender right?

Yes.
Quote:
That's a good plan for improving on type(if the blacks have the best type). But remember lavender and mottle are separate genes.

Breeding the black split for lavender AND mottle back to a mottled lavender would result in:

Half of the chicks will be lavender, half will be black split for lavender.

Half of the chicks will be mottled, half will be split for mottle.

which means you will be getting mottled lavender, lavender(split for mottle), black(split for lavender and mottle) and mottled blacks(split for lavender) in about equal percentages.(1/4)

Nope, not sexlinked. Both Mottled and Lavender are recessive, which means they need a copy from each parent for it to "show". You crossthe offspring to each other because the offspring each have 1 copy of Mottled and Lavender.

Parents:
Black Mottled (LAV/LAV mo/mo) x Lavender (lav/lav MO/MO)

F1:
Black Split to Mottled and Lavender (LAV/lav MO/mo) x to sibling with same genes

The F2 offspring will be Black, Black Mottled, Lavender, and Lavender Mottled (lav/lav mo/mo).
So if I crossed lavender mottled to lavender, half of the chicks would be mottled, and all of them would be lavender?

So if I crossed lavender mottled to lavender, half of the chicks would be mottled, and all of them would be lavender?
All would be lavender and all would carry a mottling gene but none would be mottled unless your lavender carries a mottling gene.
If it does half would be mottled and the other half would carry mottling.

Okay I have a question, I bought lavendar mottled hens and a rooster and I had white hens in there also. when I hatched the chicks out I got black and white mottled and I dont know how but also got two black cuckoo mottled roosters Not sure which hens produced what, this spring I lost my rooster but hatched three black/white mottled and two lavendar mottled from the same group. no cuckoo this time I did sell one white hen so there are two lav/mo hens and two white hens that they could come from. Could I breed the cuckoo roosters to the hens? (I know I can would it be a bad idea to do so) Also would these be sexlinked with the cuckoo feathering?

Last edited:
Okay I have a question, I bought lavendar mottled hens and a rooster and I had white hens in there also. when I hatched the chicks out I got black and white mottled and I dont know how but also got two black cuckoo mottled roosters Not sure which hens produced what, this spring I lost my rooster but hatched three black/white mottled and two lavendar mottled from the same group. no cuckoo this time I did sell one white hen so there are two lav/mo hens and two white hens that they could come from. Could I breed the cuckoo roosters to the hens? (I know I can would it be a bad idea to do so) Also would these be sexlinked with the cuckoo feathering?
I don’t think it would be a bad idea. Probably not sex-linked. I’m guessing your whites are recessive whites, which can hide any color underneath, so that’s where the cuckoos came from. Do you have pictures of your mottled cuckoos?

No they wouldn't produce sex links.
If you produced black mottled one of your white hens carried mottling.
If you you produced black mottled cuckoo cockerels one hen carried mottling and barring.
It may have been just one hen carrying both or one carrying both and another without barring but with mottling.
If the father was mottled lavender all chicks carry lavender. If you hatched anything non mottled they carry it.
All your non lavender chicks carry recessive white.
Are you asking about breeding the black mottled cuckoo rooster to your original lavender mottled hens and two of your original whites?
With the lavender you can mottled lavender, mottled cuckoo lavender, mottled black and mottled cuckoo black.
With the whites its hard to say since one original is gone.
Possible outcome is black, black mottled, black cuckoo, black mottled cuckoo and white.
Its early someone might double check that.

I don’t think it would be a bad idea. Probably not sex-linked. I’m guessing your whites are recessive whites, which can hide any color underneath, so that’s where the cuckoos came from. Do you have pictures of your mottled cuckoos?

Attachments

• 171576998_220644769739344_8695760170388840571_n (1).jpg
    171576998_220644769739344_8695760170388840571_n (1).jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 171222284_458831518667064_1413667304026410980_n.jpg
    171222284_458831518667064_1413667304026410980_n.jpg
    626.1 KB · Views: 14
sorry not the best photos and they are seriously in the gawky stage and they dont have the mottled feet like the black and black mottled hens do (I sold both of them so I dont have photos but I do remember they had the speckled feet). I do find it interesting each pair is roosters (cuckoo/mottled) or hens (black mottled)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom