what does mash look like?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
is regular chick feed mash or crumbles? i always thought it was mash but then i bought a bag of grower crumble and it looked just like the chick starter. could any one post a pic of mash feed and a pic of crumble so that i could see the difference between the feeds?
thanx

That really confused me too at first. The chick starter that I buy (Dumor) looks exactly like the layer crumbles. I always thought that mash must mean the same thing as crumbles, but once I bought chick food from a different farm store, and it was really pulverised--it wasn't even crumbles--it was like a powder, and I believe that was the mash.

Quote:
Yes, that is mash. Some people like it but I think the chickens make a mess with it so feed starter/grower crumbles and layer pellets once they out grow it.

Or if you by a local mash, it has cracked grains & the mineral powders etc. I didn't like Nature's Best grower, because it was total powder, but my chickens love the local stuff with pieces of grain. My feeder is high enough that very little gets wasted.

Back
Top Bottom