What does normal chick poop look like?

RottenFlower

In the Brooder
5 Years
I currently have two chicks in my brooder, one Cuckoo Marans and one Buff Brahma. They're fed the same chick starter, have access to the same water, etc. But their poops are vastly different.

Sunny, my Brahma, had one poop this morning that I'd almost classify as diarrhea (looked like pudding). Then she had a more firm poop that had no watery material in it. The Marans (who is currently nameless) has brown & white poops with watery liquid.

Both chicks seem to be happy and healthy otherwise. There were four more Marans with them yesterday, but they went to their new home (I am supposed to pick up three more chicks this week to complete my flock). Could the poop differences be stress related due to their brooder-mates leaving?

If anyone has any photos of "normal" chick poop, please post them!

My second year batch are about 4 weeks old. It will change constantly. I found that once I stopped medicated feed they quickly became less wet. Some chicks from a neighbor that were 8 weeks old were having very wet poop. The neighbor gave me the bag of food they had been feeding them. Medicated. Fed them non medicated and things improved quickly.

My second year batch are about 4 weeks old. It will change constantly. I found that once I stopped medicated feed they quickly became less wet. Some chicks from a neighbor that were 8 weeks old were having very wet poop. The neighbor gave me the bag of food they had been feeding them. Medicated. Fed them non medicated and things improved quickly.
Mine are eating the non-medicated starter that their Hatchery had them on.

I guess variably consistency poops are the norm, though. They seem happy, healthy, alert and fuzzy.

I just learned more about chicken poop than I ever thought possible...!

Thank you. :)
Glad to be of some help!
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom