What does "Rainbow Layer" mix refer to??

Hooterville

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Parkersburg, West Virginia
I was just reading another post and they were saying that a rainbow layer mix from a hatchery includes birds that lay brown, white and blue/green eggs. Is that the way it works?
I orderd 15 Rainbow layers from Cackle and this is what I've identified:
2 SLW
2 GLW
2 Buff orps
2 EEs
2 RIR or NHR
2 BA (I think)
2 BR
and 1 brown bird that resembles my Partridge cochins but with no feathered legs. Its a very nice mix, but I don't think any of these lay white eggs~~~and I didn't even think about it til now!
barnie.gif

What's up??

yes, generally. just check with the listing of the hatchery ordered from.

they usually agree to send several breeds/types of chickens that will lay different colors and tints of eggs.

you'll have to wait and see i guess!

Yup, "rainbow layers" usually refers to an assortment of breeds that will allow you to gather a variety of different colors of eggs. I think Murray McMurray offers a similar assortment. It must be pretty common for the hatcheries.

I think some people get confused and think that "rainbow layers" refers to the birds' feathers.

I thought that they meant the colors of the birds!
hu.gif

Now I get that its the eggs! "Rainbow Layers" says to me rainbow colored layers! It doesn't really matter--I just wanted a nice assortment of layers to identify! LOL--that's part of the fun!

I did figure out that the 1 I have that resembles the partridge cochins AND the welsummers may be a brown leghorn. If so, then this would be my 1 bird that will lay white eggs.

I sort of feel sorry for her now that I know she's just 1 of a kind. Maybe I should try to get her some buddies! hee hee--yet another reason to hatch more babies!!

Becky

Quote:
Thats a good assortment most only gaurantee 3 different breeds.

To answer your other question, I wouldnt get your one brown leghorn partners, if you bring a new one in now, there is no telling if it would hang out with the one you have. Mine all seem to hang with ones that were brought in together.

Back
Top Bottom