1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What does this mean

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tom NJ, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Tom NJ

Tom NJ Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    Since my drake got killed last week, the two girls have been acting quite a bit different. The Cayuga is now incredibly vocal. If she catches a glimpse of me in the window she quacks several times real loud; she also does this every time I come outside, if anyone else goes out, if someone pulls in the driveway, etc. She was never this vocal before. None of this bothers me. The thing that I am curious about is when I come out she will quack loudly several times, then come running up to me and when she gets to me she approaches me while bobbing her head up and down. This she never did to me before. Why does she do it? Does anyone know?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds as if she is regarding you as the "replacement" drake. The headbobbing and quacking or chattering can be flirting or saying "this is my guy--stay away." Isn't it nice to be admired. [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There's no drake in my flock, so there is an appointed spokesduck. It is a rotating position. Zehn was spokesduck first, for about a year. Now it's Zwei, and looks like Funf is in training to be her replacement when Zwei steps down.

The role of the spokesduck is to call out to the provider/protector, a kind of stay-in-touch activity. She also rallies the troops from time to time, moving them around the duck yard.
    [​IMG]

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    My mallard females and Cayugas ALWAYS head bob at me(and I'm female)....the drake occasionally does as well.I know when they do this to me it's kind of like a greeting thing.Sounds like yours are doing what Sourland says.... since it is new behavior.At least they know who will protect them....so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by