1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What does your dog dislike/hate?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MissNutmeg, Jan 15, 2018.

1. MissNutmeg

MissNutmeg Free Ranging

Jan 18, 2017
    Middle Earth
    My Coop
    My title says it all!

Some things my dog Diamond hates:

#1. Latex Gloves. She really spooks out if I wave the thing in front of her face, I think the smell of them reminds her of needles and creepy humans. idk
    2. Thunder. Diamond will definitely let me know if there is a storm brewing because she would come up to the front door and scratch, whine and scratch some more until I give in and let her into the house.

And so on......

2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    Darkness, brooms, and snowmen. 2nd item is weird, she's never been hit. Still, she goes out of her way to avoid it. :idunno

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist Premium Member

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    And the mortal enemy, the vacuum!

I once had a dog that was scared of the VCR when it would hit rewind. Best guess is it made a noise we as humans couldn't perceive in the same way.

4. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Alright well lets see Moose black Lab will move heaven and earth to get away from a
    dreaded Vacuum...

5. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    Quite strange!
    My dog does not mind the vacuum much, amazingly.

007Sean, TwoCrows, MissNutmeg and 3 others like this.
  6. black_dove2

black_dove2 Songster

I have three and the stray I love dearly

Betsy Wetsy Cocker dog down street that attacked her

Bullheaded (Bully) Cocker nothing

Brinx Husky mix. Air rifles (extremely terrified) he's torn claws try to get away from the pumping action (neighbors) fireworks, thunder

Brandi Whine Xolo mix stray loud angry voices, alot of household objects. Shes finally stopped running when I shake out sheets. When I first got her she was a scared puddle of mess. Terrified of everything inside and outside.

They are all fast at avoiding falling objects. Im having dropping issues from coffee cups to paper.

007Sean, TwoCrows, MissNutmeg and 2 others like this.
  7. MrsMistyReal

MrsMistyReal Enabler Premium Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Mississippi
    Taz our rescued fur baby /pit bull mix
    Scared of small dogs Chihuahuas specifically
    Other than that he does strange things, but we love him :love

TwoCrows, black_dove2 and JaeG like this.
  8. JaeG

JaeG Free Ranging Premium Member

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Our dog, Honey, is raw fed and she strongly dislikes any gooey, organ bits in her food. She refuses to eat them (she's half chocolate Labrador for goodness sake)! Anything with gooey organ bits gets buried until it's gross and disgusting, then she will dig it up and eat it (with no ill effect).

Other than that she's very cautious of our half blind, deaf, white cat who doesn't put up with silly dog nonsense and sometimes has a mental break and doesn't recognise our Honey (which means she hisses and spits and chases the dog who cowers behind me). The cat's sense of smell is her most reliable sense so I figure the dog must smell different after she's been outside sometimes? :confused:

Big trucks are pretty scary and Honey hates dogs barking madly/aggressively as we go past their property on a walk. She gets very confused by their reaction because she's such a friendly dog.

007Sean, Nardo, TwoCrows and 3 others like this.
  9. black_dove2

black_dove2 Songster

Cat may be smelling the disgusting mess your Honey dug up? My dogs also have raw in their diet on occasion and their breath does smell and one of them the stray loves to roll in dead mess. My daughter's American Eskimo would do same. Stinky smelly dead animal carcass seems to be a favorite for some weird instinctual obsession

007Sean, TwoCrows and MrsMistyReal like this.
  10. Abriana

Abriana Mocha Frappuccino Premium Member

Apr 26, 2017
    The Swan Pond!
    1. Tile floors/concrete floors/wood floors
    2. Doorways/doors
    3. Big people looming over him or walking by him
    4. Sticking his head in a corner or in his feeder (holds his bowls so water doesn’t slosh)
    5. Stairs (inside mostly, and the side deck ones)
    6. Everything
    Beau will be a year old on the 27 of January and I can’t figure out why he’s so skittish! He isn’t old and his hearing and eyesight are in perfect condition. I do think it has something to do with the fact that the breeder never kept him in the house-and even outside he was a loner. I’m thinking he could have a mental problem or something. I’m getting a second dog soon to see if that raises his confidence (he is much happier with other dogs around) and besides he needs a buddy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: