What does your duck house look like?

Pics
Though our ducks get time out in the yard for supervised foraging/play time daily, we opted to use rubber horse stall mats from the local Agway for the floor of our duck pen.

Dirt will instantly become mud, and in ours (it's enclosed) the grass wouldn't live long. I would think constant contact with a cement surface may lead to bumblefoot or other abrasive injury potential, IMHO.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Dan
Dan, are the rubber stall mats easy to clean? do you just hose it all down? I am portioning off part of my cement-floor polebarn for the ducks at night (they are out in the day) but the straw gets yucky, but bare cement seems cruel. I would use these mats if it is nice for their feet and still easy to clean.

Ryan

We're almost finished with Camp Quackers. Only need to put in the top and install the electric fencing, which will be done this weekend.. The house was basically free. We used things that we had on hand and hubby got materials (with permission) from his customer..The house is 3'x4' ..The pen is 16'x32'.. I got the ducks an 8' round pool that is 18" deep. Two of my ducks are Michael Phelps in that pool. I never knew how much they love to swim under water!!! Today was their first day in their new digs..

Peggi,

Is your duck run freestanding or did you post it in the ground I want to give my freerange ducks a bit more protection like you did here, but make it versatile enough if i want to move it to a different part of the property.

Ryan

43749_im001847.jpg

43749_im001841.jpg

43749_im001846.jpg
Hattie I love what you did with your pool. Is it easy to clean this way? i imagine it has a drain below. can you easily drain it scrub it and refill it? How did you build up around it?

Ryan

Ryan,

The posts for our pen are cemented into the ground.

Peggi
Peggi,

Thanks! Did you ever finish the top? Did that work out well? I'd love to see how you protected from the top - i am still worried about hawks and climbing raccoons.

Ryan

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Duck-Hut/193654187369638

I have added on since these pics...
scroll down my FB page and there are pics of the pond install.. just make sure it is ever so slightly tilted downward towards the drain, it hoses right out.. I scrub it with a broom and cleaner once a week !! I put tank heaters in for winter and they NEVER freeze, my ducks swim all yr long.. feel free to ask if you have any questions..
THanks..

Dan, are the rubber stall mats easy to clean? do you just hose it all down? I am portioning off part of my cement-floor polebarn for the ducks at night (they are out in the day) but the straw gets yucky, but bare cement seems cruel. I would use these mats if it is nice for their feet and still easy to clean.

Ryan

Ryan,

Yes the stall mats are simply "hose off and done"

You can find pictures and descriptions here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/a/6784242/the-ducks-place

Hope that helps!

Dan

Back
Top Bottom