what dog breed is a great intelligent gaurd dog?

i have a corgi and she has saved my chickens from death many times takeing on dogs ay bigger then her and getting them out corgis were bred to herd track or gaurd poultry as i am getting moe birds im considering getting a corgi whos full time job is gaurding my birds

wildsky that is apretty red neeler. I have a blue one that is 17 years old.
I have only had chickens for a few months but I would like to have another heeler. How did you train yours?

Quote:
I have done a bit of clicker training - but she's a super smart girl, didn't take long at all to teach her the basics. we even taught her tricks when she was a baby (we say BANG BANG and she rolls over and gets a treat, the kids love that one)

I've had to stop saying things, cause she understands me now, at first i would say "who's taking Ginja out" or whatever, she figured out real fast what that meant, so I started saying "the dog" and she figured that out too, so now I say HOUND, and I can't say the word OUT without her getting all excited.
So talking to the family has become a little tricky, we can't say DOG or GINJA or OUT !
gig.gif

She knows our names as well, I can tell her "go get daddy" and she'll go look for my DH, I can do that with the kids as well... my DH loves to tell her "go get mommy" because she'll jump all over me!

I got Ginja for my son mostly, but she's become my dog more than anyone elses... I took a vacation last year feb and was gone for about 3 weeks, and she wouldn't let ANYONE in this house, she actuallly nipped at my FIL's heels, and scared a neighbor who came to visit, she was NOT happy while I was gone. The second I returned she calmed down totally - the inlaws were still here visiting, and she stopped barking at them every day etc...
Funny Girl!

Edit to add: We did have an issue when she growled at my kids if they came to close to her and her bone, but we fixed that pretty quick, we got the kids to walk close to her, she growled, and we (either dh or I) took the bone, flipped her over on her back, put a hand on her throat and "growled" at her. We only had to do that once or twice and she NEVER growled at them again. THe kids can now take her food away from her and she just looks at them!
My kids often give her leftovers or treats, and she'll sit nicely and wait till they tell her she can eat!

Last edited:
I'll probably catch heck for this...but....if you can get close enough to the stray labs spray paint them with a nice bright orange or pink paint. The neighbors might work harder to keep them contained.

Back
Top Bottom