What Dog Breed Should I Get?

PluckyClucker99

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2014
Wisconsin
I am looking for a dog, and need recomendations and opinions. A few stories probably wouldn't hurt either ;) But first, let me tell you a bit about my lifestyle:

I live in a cozy house with about 5 acres of open pasture and another 55 of mixed wooded/open land in the back of our property. None of it is fenced, except eletric fencing around the horse pasture

I live by a major highway about two miles south of town, so it is busy often

I live with a nine year old, a parakeet and another dog in the house

Also, I have four horses, (we will be breeding one of the mares early spring), an outside cat, and five chickens (so i would prefer not a bird dog) but will be getting more

The dog would need to handle being alone for about nine and a half hours a day, but would be with the other dog (must get along very well, as being a companion for our current dog would be one of many purposes)

I am extremely active in the 4-H dog project and agility, so I would like the dog to be fairly trainable

I prefer medium and up dogs

I am very into cross country and would very much like a running partner

I have a mild animal dander allergy (our curent dog is hypoallergenic) and my parents don't want a severely shedding or drooling dog

I live in a cold climate (Wisconsin)

Note: Please no German Sheperds, my dog seems to have something against them when we go to dog shows and such. Also, absolutely no aggressive or dominant breeds.

I have been thinking about Huskies, or a poodle mix (like my current dog). Bring on the suggestions!

Edit: With more research, I have decided to branch out a bit more than poodles and their mixes. Other suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I love my Standard Poodle! He is an awesome farm dog. His hair doesn't tangle - it just curls and I clip him 4 times/year. He was super easy to train and loves to be a good dog. When my Old English Sheepdog misbehaves (which is often) he is mortified. He gets along with every dog and person he has ever met. Great at reading the horses and can run for miles either with me or beside the horses. He is better off leash but that's probably just because of our lifestyle. People overlook poodles because they see them as funny looking yappy dogs but I will always have a poodle. FWIW, my sister went with doodles and she has one that behaves like a poodle and one that is INSANE. Same parents. Why mess with perfection. It is important to check out the parents though for health and behavioural issues. There are many SPs that need a home due to no fault of their own.

Best of luck finding your new dog!

I would stay away from the husky, they tend to run away if not contained and they are great escape artists. Shepherds shed horribly. I think a standard poodle is a great idea! Friendly, trainable and they really are athletic and more hardy than that appear. Their fur is non shedding and better for those with allergies.
Standard poodle really sounds like an awesome breed for you!
I like the Irish Wolfhound too.
Good luck in your search.

Huskies are crazy. They can be a great dog, for the right owner that can spend lots of time with them (not be left alone for almost ten hours a day) and gives them LOTS and lots of excersize every day. Not a good dog for by a busy road with no fence, as they tend to run a lot. We have a pound puppy. Her mom was a lab mix and the dad was boarder collie. She is an amazing dog and has always stayed on are property, even when we lived outside of town on a non fenced lot when she was young. She is also great with my son, cat and ducks. I have heard that standard poodles, are great dogs, but labs and lab mutts are great dogs and very friendly and loyal. Like with any dog, you can get a crazy one, so spending some time with the puppy before adopting is a good idea. My husband said when he got are dog, the other puppy's were crazy and he picked up Ruby and she just relaxed. She has always been mellow, but still loves going on runs and hikes, always come back when we call her and always nice to any other animals.

There's a great book, maybe still in print; "The Right Dog For You" by D. Tortora. Sled dogs won't work for you unless you want a team for the races. Retrievers might work, but hair is an issue. The right Standard Poodle, might be nice, if you are ready for the coat care. Herding breeds might work, but again there's hair. Boxers? Fencing of some sort will be necessary; one dog might stay home, but two are a pack, and they will travel. Invisible fencing works very well for most dogs. How about checking with rescue groups or shelters? The perfect dog is out there waiting. Mary

Where in Wisconsin are you? I was an obedience instructor with For Pet's Sake out of Mukwonago for around 10 years. I'm now in the Charlotte NC area.

I have close friends in Wisconsin that breed Border Collies, Australian Shepherds and Labs. So if any of those are of interest I can send you to someone reputable. My two picks to fit your needs would be the Standard Poodle or the Portugese Water dog. Both are very smart, non-shedding but you do need to trim regularly, recognized breeds for easier showing. Also, both have some good breeders in Wisconsin so they are easy to find.

I would not recommend the Husky unless you are really into a ton of training. While they can certainly keep up with running (my neice and husband run marathons with theirs), they can be tough to train, stubborn, choose to please themselves instead of you and shed like crazy twice a year. And let's not forget the noise, boy do they talk alot.

Oh, I am around central Wisconsin. I know someone who has an Australian Sheperd, and their dog is very shy and reserved, which I am trying to stay away from. My mom really wants a Great Dane or Doberman, lol, so I don't know how training would work with them.

Danes are generally very relaxed, laid back types, might work well in your situation. Since the dog needs to be left alone all day I absolutely would NOT recommend a Husky or a Border Collie. Way to much energy in both and BC's especially need to be busy, many Huskies also have a high prey drive and can be tough to train. We've had Huskies in the past and my current dog is part BC. She's super smart, super easy to train and a perfect ranch dog but she's a busy, go-all-day kind of dog. I'm home all day and she's out with me quite a bit so it works for us.

I would not follow the recommendation for a Portie. Porties (Portuguese Water Dog) needs a lot of interaction. Leaving them alone for that amount of time is not recommended if it is consistent. Their personality is to work and be with their master all day. You also have to correct their dominate behavior. They like to be in charge if you allow it. They are also are a hard mouthed breed because of the work they were bred for. The Portie has no problem staying active all day and if they are active they have no problem curling up with you and just relaxing. Getting a Portie will run you at least 1800-2500 dollars from a reputable breeder. They are rarely available as a rescue. They are great dogs and smart. They actually like to try to out think you. Grooming is a big thing about them. They come in a curly coat (like a poodle) or wavy coat and my boy has to be brushed a couple times a week and cut every six weeks. Also there are a lot of people who try to pass of a doodle as a Portie. I will say my boy loves chasing my chickens and he was raised around them.

Poodles would be my best suggestion. Their personality would work better for your needs. Mainly the being alone. I haven't seen any poodles have an issue.

Mixed breed poodles are hit or miss. There is no guarentee they are low shedding and their personality can go either way. The "doodles" were a failed experiment to breed a hypoallergenic dog and the stigma that they are hypoallergenic stuck.

The doodle I have doesn't shed, but is not exactly the smartest dog (which surprises me, with his mix, but then again he came from a backyard breeder)

I didn't mention this before, I still have very mixed feelings about poodles and their mixes. Any input on Dobermans? Since my dog is very aggressive toward German Sheperds, I am curious how he would react to a doberman.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom