What dog breeds are good with ducks

While individual dogs can vary from their breed descriptions and training is key to peaceful coexistence, I would advise against sled dog breeds (high prey drive), and bird hunting breeds. The AKC has descriptions, pros and cons that can help you decide. It has been my experience that their breed descriptions are accurate. As such, some dog breeds are better at guarding than others. For instance, malamutes are horrible guard dogs since they love anyone's attention and are a bit lazy, while german shepherds are sentrys (my experience thus far). However malamutes have a high prey drive and chase to kill, while the gsd bark runs to scare away. I think the great pyrones (sp?) is a breed specifically for livestock protection.

We have 30 muscovy babies and 13 adults, so we have ducks everywhere. They fly to and from the pond, pastures, etc. We have a Golden that runs at high speed send will run over things, people ducks, etc., in his path without a thought. He on occasion will bark or chase them when they fly but he is not trying to kill them. He is just a big clumsy lovable dork in need of some manners. We also rescued a sheltie mix that has never bothered the ducks/ ducklings. We have a 13 year old Schnoodle that is very curious about the ducklings. While she has never harmed one, with her curiosity I feel that I have to watch her closely when we have little ones running around. She doesn't pay much mind to the larger ducks. The golden and schnoodle were here before the ducks, the rescue came only recently. In other words, they don't have to be raised up from a puppy with ducks.
Good luck with choosing your new furbaby!

Back
Top Bottom