What dog breeds are right for me?

I'm very sorry :hugs I lost my beloved dog yesterdayđź’•. I don't know about the weight (we have kg not lbs and I'm too lazy to google it). I had a rough collie he did have long fur but he did not shed and it was fine to groom him at home once or twice a week. He was not tgat type of dog that LOVED to learn but that was just his personlaity. It does not match much of your criteria. Sorry just wanted to share. They are truly amazing dogs. Mine loved jumping. He could jump obstacles twice the size of him!
Its always so hard to lose a member of the family, because that’s what pets are. I am so sorry to hear about your loss aswell, sending you much love and light. Rough collies do interest me, I have a friend who has one and he is a lovely little dog.

I’m looking for a dog that is between 20-50lbs that has short/medium coat and doesn’t need to be groomed professionally. I would like an athletic dog who is able to keep up with me...
Maybe an Australian Cattle Dog? (aka Blue Heeler.)

I've never had one, so I can't tell whether it would actually be a good breed for you, but it looks like a perfect fit for size, coat type, and being athletic.

This is Luna, aka Lunar Module, on the couch with my wife's stupid beagle. The beagle is NOT allowed on the couch but my wife lacks the willpower to make that proscription stick. Since the beagle is not allowed on the couch, Loonie is also not allowed on the couch because it "would hurt her feelings". Thems my wife's sentiments.

My sentiments are to discipline a bald spot on each their hind ends until they had no interest in the couch. But I've been overruled in the name of the greater need to not hurt dog feelings.
IMG_20211205_104942351.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss :( it sucks to lose a companion
Maybe look into an Australian Cattle Dog? Ours is very smart, and very much wants to please us. She will learn new things without treats and loves to go go go. They can be a tad stubborn at times, but if they get ample exercise they don't go stir crazy.

Lab. Mine was half American lines, half English lines, and a mix of field trial lines, show lines, and hunting lines. I don't know what the difference is between field trial lines and hunting lines is but the breeder thought there was. If you get a puppy, go with a breeder who knows enough to check both parents for hips, elbows, and eyes. And follow up - see the paperwork from the right certification labs. The last puppy my family got came from a puppy mill posing as an ethical breeder of Golden Retrievers. She said she checked these but either flat out lied or I wasn't as clear as I thought as was about what kind of certification I meant. I know what to ask and found out she did too... she answered everything right and I didn't figure it out until we arrived at her place to pick up the pup. I should have cancelled.

These I haven't had.
Corgi. Either kind.
Doberman Pincher. More need than most for a good breeder.
Cocker Spaniel. Also more need than most for a good breeder.
Field Spaniel

This is Luna, aka Lunar Module, on the couch with my wife's stupid beagle. The beagle is NOT allowed on the couch but my wife lacks the willpower to make that proscription stick. Since the beagle is not allowed on the couch, Loonie is also not allowed on the couch because it "would hurt her feelings". Thems my wife's sentiments.

My sentiments are to discipline a bald spot on each their hind ends until they had no interest in the couch. But I've been overruled in the name of the greater need to not hurt dog feelings.
View attachment 2919296
Hitting dogs is counterproductive, it's not in their vocabulary. Dogs don't hit each other. Hitting only teaches them to fear you, and they may learn to stay/ get off the couch in your presence. You can get some modified mouse traps with paddles to place on the couches that will slap them but do them no harm. Or you could place traps under newspapers that will have the same effect. The noise startles them. Set these up when you are not there to get them off or stop them from getting up. If they get up when you are there, take hold of their collars and pull them down, saying, "Off!" But the real key is consistency. Once you decide to enforce your boundaries, they must NEVER be allowed up again. A spray bottle may also work (water only), again coupled with the word "off"). Dogs don't get hurt feelings. They may be startled, but they don't hold grudges. They will just learn to respect the new rules.

Maybe an Australian Cattle Dog? (aka Blue Heeler.)

I've never had one, so I can't tell whether it would actually be a good breed for you, but it looks like a perfect fit for size, coat type, and being athletic.
My brother had some; his wife's family had a lot of them. They are intelligent but not bidable.

As a rule. Of course, there are always individual differences.

Since you’ve done quizzes and have had terriers suggested, have you considered some of the larger ones like Soft Coated Wheatens or Irish?

I’ve stalked the page of an Irish terrier breeder near me who uses her dogs as all-purpose farm dogs - alarm system, working livestock, pet, etc. They seem quite versatile.

Back
Top Bottom