What dog breeds are right for me?

It doesn’t really matter, I will be boundary ecollar training the dog regardless it has a low prey drive or not but Cricket had a high prey drive and was fine with the cats and chickens which is all that mattered.
It might matter in that high prey drive tends to be less biddable. Hmph, my Grandma used that word but she pronounced it bide able or bide ible. Is it really bid able? I generally had good English modeled for me at home but every once in a while I discover some, hm, unusual (unique) words that are close to similar words that mean the same thing. :lau

It might matter in that high prey drive tends to be less biddable. Hmph, my Grandma used that word but she pronounced it bide able or bide ible. Is it really bid able? I generally had good English modeled for me at home but every once in a while I discover some, hm, unusual (unique) words that are close to similar words that mean the same thing. :lau
I’ve always pronounced it “bid-able,” but I’m not the one to model after. I know English and bad English. I’m more fluent in the latter.

I have always had a dog in my life, both mixed and purebreds (German Shepherds, Labs, and Golden Retrievers). Honestly, the mixed breeds have always been my best dogs. When my last one passed over 8 months ago it left a big hole.
I decided the best thing to do was write out a list of criteria for my next dog - size, weight, age (didn't want to start out with puppy again), energy level, prey drive, etc. This really helped me to not make a spur of the moment decision based on, "oh that dog is cute".
Recently found my new companion at a local Humane Society. He is a lab plus ?. Wonderful dog. I wish he could tell me how he came to be there.
Take you time. Your next dog and you will find each other.

It might matter in that high prey drive tends to be less biddable. Hmph, my Grandma used that word but she pronounced it bide able or bide ible. Is it really bid able?

If the proper spelling is biddable (dd in the middle), then the first part should be pronounced "bid."
Double consonants (those d's) typically mean the vowel before them is short.

It's the same way we distinguish between sitting (what you do on a chair) and siting (putting something on the correct site). Or hatting (put a hat on) and hating (when you hate someone).

Biddable is related to bid ("bid the dog go home" means "tell the dog to go home").
Bide is a different word meaning to wait or stay in one place ("bide there until I come back.")
So a biddable dog is one that is easy to train and obeys commands well.

If the proper spelling is biddable (dd in the middle), then the first part should be pronounced "bid."

It's the same way we distinguish between sitting (what you do on a chair) and siting (putting something on the correct site). Or hatting (put a hat on) and hating (when you hate someone).

Biddable is related to bid ("bid the dog go home" means "tell the dog to go home").
Bide is a different word meaning to wait or stay in one place ("bide there until I come back.")
:hugs:highfive::yesss: Do you reach language skills?

I am a good student. I have a high grade in English. But :th

Last edited:
Do you reach language skills?
I am a good student. I have a high grade in English. But :th
No, I'm not officially a teacher of any of this.

For me, I think it's a matter of reading a lot, using a dictionary, studying a little bit of several foreign languages, and spending most of my life around people who also do these things and enjoy talking about them.

I also like seeing how parts fit together (logic puzzles, craft projects, genetics, pieces of a language, etc.)

And yes, I did look it up to be sure, before I posted ;)
I've been wrong often enough about things that sounded right :D

Psst, delete your grade, that's TMI!
You should edit your quote, to delete their grade there too.

How did @NatJ word that so well?! I do have a hard time in English. Just wow.
Re-reading and editing do help. I usually start with a confusing wall of text and then try to make it sensible-- with varying results, so I'm glad it came out well this time :)

Back
Top Bottom