What dogs are good with chickens?

MrFluffyandGirls

Songster
Dec 30, 2018
SC, Low Country
Welcome! :frow
I have a Shepweiler (Rottweiler & German shepherd mix = those have been used as driving and herding) and a little pit mix who is very trust worthy with my chickens . I also have a young cane corso who is doing very well learning about life with poultry.
But I've also had a shepherd that had a prey drive off the charts that could not ever be trusted with chickens or any small animal.

Tamdog

Songster
Apr 23, 2020
My Boxer was able to be trained, and I think it is because Boxers were bred to be the "Nanny Dog." BUT- a young Boxer is very crazy and so don't expect it immediately. - My Boxer did not want to kill them, but he would chase them, and of course a few would get "played with." I finally put him in a pen the day he killed one and every time I walked by I spoke to him in an angry tone and shook my head. Now I can leave them in the yard with the chickens and he will walk around with them and see what they are eating! Once a Boxer gets a few years on them all they want to do is please you.- and they are really smart.

MrFluffyandGirls

Songster
Dec 30, 2018
SC, Low Country
My Boxer was able to be trained, and I think it is because Boxers were bred to be the "Nanny Dog." BUT- a young Boxer is very crazy and so don't expect it immediately. - My Boxer did not want to kill them, but he would chase them, and of course a few would get "played with." I finally put him in a pen the day he killed one and every time I walked by I spoke to him in an angry tone and shook my head. Now I can leave them in the yard with the chickens and he will walk around with them and see what they are eating! Once a Boxer gets a few years on them all they want to do is please you.- and they are really smart.
Same with my 8 month corso. I would not trust her without supervision because she might get the puppy crazies and decide to have a poultry party!

Pork Pie

Flockwit
Premium Feather Member
Jan 30, 2015

Top Bottom