What dogs are good with chickens?

734809AE-DAF6-4F3A-93CC-AEC6F252FDC0.jpeg
19DB16E9-5C33-4BCF-B00D-CDBCDBE3DE08.jpeg
Here’s my awesome chicken nanny Hazel (when she’s not passed out w Shitrat) I truly think its the luck of the draw combined w some training. If the dogs hellbent on birds it might not work.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
None of my dogs have been good with the flock.
Welcome!! It's all in the training and the dog's personality. I have 3 Siberian Huskies. One of them is the most responsible and committed chicken nanny you will ever find. From the moment they came home she was dedicated to them. My oldest, I am confident would eat them in a heartbeat if given the chance. The last is sort of in between. She likes them well enough and will watch them but I wouldn't be surprised if she got a crazy streak in her and pounced on them one day if the chicken nanny wasn't keeping her at a distance. There's no sure thing breed that will snap into place but with good training, I also don't think there's any breed that can't peacefully live with chickens.

I have a Miniature Shih Tzu Poodle who gets along fine with my latest batch of Danish Brown Leghorns, both as chicks and now as 5 month pullets. He loves to go into their fenced-in area and the chickens and he have no problems together.
Niko teaching chicks to eat mealworms 28Apr2020-184401 800x600.jpg
When I received 2 Australorps several years ago, they immediately bonded with the dog in the backyard in the early spring at dusk and actually "dog-piled" together in the lawn to stay warm together. Here is a picture of Niko this spring "teaching" the baby chicks how to eat mealworms, which they ignored until they saw him eating some.

Welcome to BYC! I completely agree almost any breed can be trained to be around them. Breeds with low prey drive will do best. I currently have a 5 month old Great Pyrenees mix who is doing amazing with my chickens so far. They can’t be trusted alone with them until 2-3 years old because of puppy tendencies but so far so great! Please note, this is not your average breed of dog, they are extremely quirky. If interested, definitely do your research before hand.
CD4CD097-0D3B-4129-A584-4AFA3BB92FF2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom