What DONT your chickens like

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joebwe25, Sep 5, 2007.

1. joebwe25

joebwe25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    What don't your chickens like to EAT?
    Mine HATE Burnt toast and LOTS of other things.
    How 'bout yours?
    I would like to know.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  2. firechicken

firechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Covington, GA
    Mine won't touch stale or toasted bread and they won't even look at a tomato.
    They did eat some leftover mac n cheese and black eye peas yesterday though.

3. Nyna

Nyna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    Mine sure didn't care for the fried green tomatoes I made! You know I don't think they turned out very good either! [​IMG] They like red tomatoes, but didn't even like the fresh sliced green tomatoes.[​IMG]

4. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Mine won't touch apple or watermelon.

5. biretta

biretta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2007
    Mine don't like anything too watery, eg. watermelon, but also will not eat apples or carrots. They won't eat lettuce anymore either, preferring the lawn instead.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mine don't eat the potato peels but that's good since they are bad for them, they also don't eat spiny plants or apple peels.

7. unlikelyfarmers

unlikelyfarmers Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2007
    I gave mine burnt chili once, that's the only thing I have ever seen them not eat!!

8. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Lettuce, cabbage, greens in general, I guess.

We've been spoiling the heck out of 'em w/ grapes from our vines so now they won't even touch BOSS or whole wheat/oats. Ooops!

9. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Quote:Well I kinda agree with them on that one! LOL!!

10. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Ohhh I would LOVE some fried green tomatos myself. Let's see, they pretty much will eat anything as they get older and shun some things when they are younger. I gave them a quarter of watermelon the other day that had been in the fridge and was starting to go, they stripped it clean and even started on the end of the rind. At first they would not eat lettuce, now they kind of do but are picky about it. Love bread, crackers, dry oatmeal and do back flips for spaghetti. I guess we all have different chickens with different taste. Funny. Now I am DYING for fried green tomatoes.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by