What Duck Is This!?!?(Duck ID help)Calling Terrie & other duck experts

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wolf-Kim, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Okay, so we were out and about and passed a drainage pond and inside were a large flock of Canada geese, a pair of Mallards and then a drake I couldn't identify.

It was amongst the Mallard pair. It had the green head of a mallard and was pretty much the exact same size as the Mallards. The only difference was that instead of a grey or silver body it had a beautiful fawn color.

So what breed of duck do the drakes have the same size of the Mallard, have the bright green heads and a fawn/tan colored body?

And does this breed fly?

The body was colored like the American Saxony in this picture, but the head was bright green just like the mallard drake.

[​IMG]

Thanks
    -Kim

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I have seen some campbells that have a green head and are smaller with a brown body.

3. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Welsh Harlequin

4. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:Do campbells fly? Or was this little duck dumped?

Are campbells the size of mallards?

If it turns out to be a domestic that cannot fly, I was thinking about rescuing him from the drainage pond and bringing him home where he'll have actual duck food instead of dumpster crumbs. (Drainage pond was behind a dumpster, surrounded by parking lots)

Thanks a ton,
    Kim

EDITED: I think it was a Campbell! I googled Khaki Campbell and found this picture and this looks exactly like the one I saw today! (Picture is NOT mine)

[​IMG]

Now I'm off to find whether these suckers fly or not!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  5. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
  6. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:I googled Welsh Harlequins too, but they have too many color patches on the their back. This drake was pretty much just all fawn colored or "khaki".

Thanks for the help though!

Do Campbells fly?

-Kim

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    They can fly alittle just like runners. They wont be able to fly like a call or anything though, just up and fly a foot or two off the ground for short distances.

8. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Mine couldn't do much more than controlled decent...If you can catch him, take him home! Either way he is a domestic duck so it wouldn't hurt anything [​IMG]

Oh and my Khaki looked like that pic only no neck ring...

9. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    It was likely a khaki drake. I see lots of them dumped. If it is not a mallard or other wild duck, it was dumped. [​IMG]

10. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:No worries Terrie! I plan on going back tomorrow to get him! ^-^

The drainage pond was fenced in 3-4 foot chainlink, so I'm hoping it will help a TON in catching him. The easier to catch the faster we can get out of there! No need to get the cops called on my for jumping the drainage pond fence.

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by