What Duck Is This!?!?(Duck ID help)Calling Terrie & other duck experts

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Okay, so we were out and about and passed a drainage pond and inside were a large flock of Canada geese, a pair of Mallards and then a drake I couldn't identify.

It was amongst the Mallard pair. It had the green head of a mallard and was pretty much the exact same size as the Mallards. The only difference was that instead of a grey or silver body it had a beautiful fawn color.

So what breed of duck do the drakes have the same size of the Mallard, have the bright green heads and a fawn/tan colored body?

And does this breed fly?

The body was colored like the American Saxony in this picture, but the head was bright green just like the mallard drake.

SaxonyDrUK02.JPEG

Thanks
-Kim

Quote:
Do campbells fly? Or was this little duck dumped?

Are campbells the size of mallards?

If it turns out to be a domestic that cannot fly, I was thinking about rescuing him from the drainage pond and bringing him home where he'll have actual duck food instead of dumpster crumbs. (Drainage pond was behind a dumpster, surrounded by parking lots)

Thanks a ton,
Kim

EDITED: I think it was a Campbell! I googled Khaki Campbell and found this picture and this looks exactly like the one I saw today! (Picture is NOT mine)

khaki.jpg

Now I'm off to find whether these suckers fly or not!

Last edited:
Quote:
I googled Welsh Harlequins too, but they have too many color patches on the their back. This drake was pretty much just all fawn colored or "khaki".

Thanks for the help though!

Do Campbells fly?

-Kim

Mine couldn't do much more than controlled decent...If you can catch him, take him home! Either way he is a domestic duck so it wouldn't hurt anything
smile.png

Oh and my Khaki looked like that pic only no neck ring...

Last edited:
Quote:
No worries Terrie! I plan on going back tomorrow to get him! ^-^

The drainage pond was fenced in 3-4 foot chainlink, so I'm hoping it will help a TON in catching him. The easier to catch the faster we can get out of there! No need to get the cops called on my for jumping the drainage pond fence.

-Kim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom