What Earlobe Genes are Dominant/Codominant/Recessive?

I wonder if this points toward involvement of the Z chromosome, with males requiring two copies for a full presentation.
I've read that some skin color genes, such as id+, are on the Z chromosome.

@NatJ
@nicalandia
@DarJones
What do you guys think?
I certainly have seen mixed-color earlobes on hens, so earlobe color is at least partly controlled by something that is not on the Z chromosome.

Beyond that, I don't know.

Interesting! Thank you for the update!

I wonder if this points toward involvement of the Z chromosome, with males requiring two copies for a full presentation.
I've read that some skin color genes, such as id+, are on the Z chromosome.

@NatJ
@nicalandia
@DarJones
What do you guys think?
White Early lobes trait is polygenic in nature and at least one of the gene is Sex Linked.

I don't have knowledge about the actual genetics, but I have a rooster with white streaks showing on red ear lobes. The only pure white ear lobed hen I had was a brown leg horn that was taken by a fox a few years ago. I believe this roo is 4 generations from the leghorn.

I don't have knowledge about the actual genetics, but I have a rooster with white streaks showing on red ear lobes. The only pure white ear lobed hen I had was a brown leg horn that was taken by a fox a few years ago. I believe this roo is 4 generations from the leghorn.
That would suggest that the white is hard to get rid of and that nicalandia is right about it being polygenic. Kind of like brown egg genes. But like we have said earlier in the thread, white with red streaking is also common even in breeds with historically white lobes. It seems to be less of a streaking of red and more like areas that meet the rest of the face skin take on that red color. Whereas the white (on red-lobed birds) def looks like streaking throughout. I have some pics of my F2s but I’m not sure they’re clear enough to post here.

And that was a good catch from the poster who brought up that it could be sex-linked as my own thought process didn’t make it to that point yet. Lol

I will definitely be paying more attention to this as I move forward with my project. My young females haven’t developed their earlobes yet so now I’ll be on pins and needles with them for this trait, too. 😂

These are both second gen/backcross to Legbar to illustrate my last post. I cropped them so you can see the faces better but it may look grainy.

This one has white lobes but you can see that where the lobe attaches to the red part of the face, it turns more red. I have seen this in pure Legbars as well.
1BEC2B76-638B-4893-8FAE-0560162B5547.png

This one looks to have red lobes with white streaking. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a female like this but I will certainly pay more attention now. And def no Cream Legbars with this look but possibly in other colors that are newer and still a work in progress. I know the Legbar people are pretty critical of anything looking red in this area, often saying it’s not a pure Legbar but I don’t think I would be that extreme about it bc there have been so many color projects going on that are made available before being stabilized.
0FBFDB21-AE97-462A-817B-27A4F50D13B1.png

Back
Top Bottom