What eats geese?

kmclay

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Kansas
I had several healthy, large geese, but several have gone missing. What on earth has the muscle power to fight and eat a goose? Coyotes? Heck, they scare ME when they do the wing spreading/hissing thing! Seriously, this is upsetting. Now I have only 2 young male geese left, and I'm worried how they will get along without females. Thanks for any input.
sad.png

I'm sorry.
hugs.gif

Did you find any feathers? If not, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that someone stole them, either. There seems to be an increase in thieving, these days. Other than that, I think just larger animals like wolves and cougars. Maybe an experienced pack of larger dogs. Younger, smaller, less experienced geese have a longer list of animals that prey on them.

Edited to add, I meant other than coyotes and humans. I know that coyotes are definitely a predator of geese.

Last edited:
Anything that can sneak up on them, such as an owl swooping out of a tree at night.

Another option: Was it a female that went missing? Could she have a hidden nest somewhere and have gone broody?

Last edited:
Thanks you guys. Coyotes are most likely the culprits. I guess my husband should shoot them, but that doesn't seem fair. Cougars have been spotted in Kansas, although the people that haven't actually seen them are naysayers.
barnie.gif
Bobcat is also a good possiiblity.

My poor boy geese. I guess we should buy a few more geese, but with my luck, they'd both be males!!

Oh, I forgot to acknowledge the owl and brooding suggestions. My husband has also hoped the geese, and a missing female turkey, are brooding, but I think it's been too long. Sucks. I really liked my female Turkey.....Tulip.

I heard an owl attack something in our yard one night, but our birds are locked in, so it was probably a rabbit.

We had a nieghbor's dog break into our geese pen once yrs ago and run off with the male which he killed. The female died of shock I think. Anyhow, a larger dog can kill them.

I know how u feel...I had 8 chickens in a matter of a week and 1/2 go missing...no sign..we have dogs (that bark at everything) we have geese and ducks..they too make noise if something is out there..nothing..My own belief is someone stole them..even tho we have asked a nieghbor..they havent seen a thing..its just seems odd that 6 chickens all go missing at one time..with no signs of struggle anywhere on the property and believe me we have gone over it with fine tooth comb...things that make u say...hmmm! sorry about ur loss..im right there with ya tho..
sad.png

Fox can also take geese, they have been seen here on golf courses taking out canadian geese and you don't need large dogs to take out a goose. A few years ago we had a french bulldog that was great with everything but birds, she hated birds. She snuck out the door and was only out a few minutes when I heard the noise and ran outside. In those 3 minutes, she killed 2 6 month old geese and seriously injured 2 others. One so bad I almost put it down and probably should have but it continued to eat and drink, so I gave it a chance and he recovered. She weighed 20 pounds and was 11 years old at the time, she just chased them down and jumped on their backs, grabbing them by the neck. At 6 months the birds were full grown, but still acted young, perhaps that didn't help as they all ran instead of fighting back, but I don't think it would have mattered.

Back
Top Bottom