What egg belongs to whom?

Sheissoblond

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
Ok guys my chickens are free range. They have nesting boxes available but have chosen not to use them and have just come into laying age. I have a mixed flock so I’m not sure what egg belongs to who. The brown egg I’m almost certain belongs to my neighbors Isa Brown as she spends all her time with our flock and we’ve gotten eggs from her in the past. However I have 2 new types of eggs show up. My polish and houdans are too young to lay eggs so I know it’s not them. Of egg laying age I have a polkie, a silkie, appenzeller spitzhauben, and had a sebright up until last week but she has been culled for health reasons. I found a nest out in some shrubs as I was walking through the back of my property. All the eggs were in the same nest. Any ideas of what belongs to who? Thanks in advance!
86807C0D-C278-4084-B98C-BC78EE40F0C8.jpeg

Attachments

• 2B70ACDA-CDD6-41BF-A0ED-8EC78C100311.jpeg
    2B70ACDA-CDD6-41BF-A0ED-8EC78C100311.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 11
Ok guys my chickens are free range. They have nesting boxes available but have chosen not to use them and have just come into laying age. I have a mixed flock so I’m not sure what egg belongs to who. The brown egg I’m almost certain belongs to my neighbors Isa Brown as she spends all her time with our flock and we’ve gotten eggs from her in the past. However I have 2 new types of eggs show up. My polish and houdans are too young to lay eggs so I know it’s not them. Of egg laying age I have a polkie, a silkie, appenzeller spitzhauben, and had a sebright up until last week but she has been culled for health reasons. I found a nest out in some shrubs as I was walking through the back of my property. All the eggs were in the same nest. Any ideas of what belongs to who? Thanks in advance!View attachment 2336470
Hi. Silkies, appenzellars, and seabrights all usually lay small, cream/white colored eggs, so I don’t think it’s them. Not sure about the Polkie.
The eggs all look to be coming from non-bantam sized hens. Is the ISA Brown the only one from your neighbor’s flock or does he/she have other chickens that might be laying in the shrubs?
You can get fake, ceramic eggs to put in the nesting boxes (or even golf balls work sometimes) to encourage them to use the nesting boxes so you’re not doing an Easter Egg hunt every day to find eggs! :)

Hi. Silkies, appenzellars, and seabrights all usually lay small, cream/white colored eggs, so I don’t think it’s them. Not sure about the Polkie.
The eggs all look to be coming from non-bantam sized hens. Is the ISA Brown the only one from your neighbor’s flock or does he/she have other chickens that might be laying in the shrubs?
You can get fake, ceramic eggs to put in the nesting boxes (or even golf balls work sometimes) to encourage them to use the nesting boxes so you’re not doing an Easter Egg hunt every day to find eggs! :)
The only other visitors from my neighbors are their roosters coming to check out the ladies. I’ll try the ceramic eggs. I’ve tried creating different kind of nesting boxes but none have sparked interest. Perhaps I’ll have to try a dirt and leaves one with stick curtains 😂 because I dread missing an egg in the Georgia heat and having to find it based on smell

You need to confine birds to coop and run to 'train' them to use coop nests.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom