What else can I but in my chicks' brooder besides food and water?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fushalilly, Mar 23, 2008.

1. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    They are two weeks old and they look like they get bored in their little brooder with just food and water to stare at all day. Can I put a plant or something in there that they can peck at? Or am I just being overly concerned of my chicks boredom? I mean, its a big brooder, but the three of them seem to get bored, ya know? Haha, I feel bad!

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I hung a mirror in mine and they will look at themselves all day, it's so funny.

3. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    I have 2 small stuffed animals which they love, a couple of branches that mimick a perch, and a ferret house. It is round and plastic, like a cave. They love to go in it, like a mini coop!

4. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    What good ideas! I fed mine some mealworms today, and laughed myself silly at the "Keystone Cops" routine they put on trying to keep their mealworm from the others. I think I'll try your suggestions! I wonder if I can get a stuffed animal that resembles a chicken?

5. professor-yellow

professor-yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    I have a roosting bar made of wood dowel and they love to hop on and off all day even at 2 weeks old. its only a couple of inches off the fllor. I also tiw abundle of garden greens and hold it at eye level. They love to peck at it and try and get a piece. My daughter gives them worms which are a real treat.

Seems they never get bored and dont peck at each other.

6. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

You can try sand so they can dust bathe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by