What else do I need?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by IDIOT HUSBAND, Jun 20, 2009.

1. IDIOT HUSBAND

IDIOT HUSBAND Songster

May 6, 2009
    Burgin, KY
    I have 15 RIR on the way they will be here Mon. or Tue. I have a brooder box ready with a lamp that is adjustable in hight, watering bottle, starter feed, and feeder. I know I need to get some pine shavings. Is there anything else I will need before the chicks arive?

2. Marion

Marion Songster

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Looks like you have it covered! They grow fast so the next thing on the list would be a coop!

3. IDIOT HUSBAND

IDIOT HUSBAND Songster

May 6, 2009
    Burgin, KY
    I have a coop design in my head and most of the material. I'm going to start on it next week.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I usually use paper towels rather than pine shavings for the first week and a half.

5. IDIOT HUSBAND

IDIOT HUSBAND Songster

May 6, 2009
    Burgin, KY
    Why do you use paper towels will they absorb more cleaner or what?

6. Fuzzy_Hat_Farm

Fuzzy_Hat_Farm Chirping

Jun 4, 2009
    Maryland
    Paper towels keep their little legs from slipping out from under them and give them some traction. I only used them the first 2-3 days. (I got my chicks 6/3 - 25 mixed breeds) Keep the paper towels handy though and check that none of them are getting pasty butt, that'll have to be cleaned off with a little warm water.

Oh, and you might start that coop soon. they grow fast! [​IMG]

7. IDIOT HUSBAND

IDIOT HUSBAND Songster

May 6, 2009
    Burgin, KY
    Thanks for the info. I already have my coop design and a lot of materials. I hope to get my wife to take pictures of my coop when I am working on it and after I am done. Thanks again.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    This is optional, but once they get about a week old, you could put a small perch/roost in there, so they can practice early [​IMG]

9. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Songster

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    WHO dubbed you the "Idiot Husband"??? LOL! If if was your wife, I hope she assumes the same title! Any hubby who is trying to raise chicks, build a brooder and coop is no idiot in my humble opinion. If YOU gave yourself that name - get rid of it!! [​IMG]

The paper towels under the shavings are a good idea. I started with pine pellets and loved them. A bit neater and cleaner than the shavings.

The chicks GROW FAST - over night, and I'm not kidding. Start your coop, or you WILL be an idiot!!! (JUST TEASING!) [​IMG]

10. Grammahen

Grammahen Songster

Feb 23, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    You'll need a thermometer to put under the heat lamp so you know how warm your brooder is.
    Have fun, chick days go by oh so fast...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: