What else should I put in my duck pen?

Diamond88

Songster
7 Years
Apr 25, 2012
Chicago
After nine months of moving around, from Raleigh to Chicago to Los Angeles, my amazingly well-adjusted and mild-mannered duck Bunny is in a permanent home. My little sweetheart endured the changes with such grace and ease. Of course, I coddled her through all of them.
love.gif

Here are some photos of the indoor pen I made for her in the living room of the new house. Aside from a second duck (still working on convincing the boyfriend...) what else should I add to the pen? I'm planning on putting a full-length mirror along that blank back wall because she likes to play with her reflection. As for swimming, we have a backyard with a kiddie pool for her to have supervised swims, and she showers with me on a pretty regular basis. Honestly, though, she's not as obsessed with water as you'd expect a duck to be. She's just kind of "meh" about it. The pen is also next to my boyfriend's work-from-home office and across from the TV which we turn on to Animal Planet when we're not home. Of course, we take her out in the yard or put her in her diaper and let her run around the house every day too.

What else can I add to the setup to keep her entertained? She certainly has fun snorting in her water dishes and chewing on her toys. I love waking up in the early morning to the sound of her cheeping and pushing toys around. I just want to make sure she's always happy and entertained.

So, these are a few photos of what I've got so far. Forgive the mess of feathers--she's molting like crazy!

^ Watching some Animal Planet.
big_smile.png

Looks pretty good to me! I would just keep switching stuff up. New things and new arrangements over time can sometimes be more entertaining that everything all at once!

Oh and I almost forgot! Happy Hen Treats. Ducks LOVE those things!

Thanks! I'll move the toys around and switch them out with new toys from time to time. And thanks for the treat recommendation! I've never heard of those but I'll look for them.

After nine months of moving around, from Raleigh to Chicago to Los Angeles, my amazingly well-adjusted and mild-mannered duck Bunny is in a permanent home. My little sweetheart endured the changes with such grace and ease. Of course, I coddled her through all of them.
love.gif

Here are some photos of the indoor pen I made for her in the living room of the new house. Aside from a second duck (still working on convincing the boyfriend...) what else should I add to the pen? I'm planning on putting a full-length mirror along that blank back wall because she likes to play with her reflection. As for swimming, we have a backyard with a kiddie pool for her to have supervised swims, and she showers with me on a pretty regular basis. Honestly, though, she's not as obsessed with water as you'd expect a duck to be. She's just kind of "meh" about it. The pen is also next to my boyfriend's work-from-home office and across from the TV which we turn on to Animal Planet when we're not home. Of course, we take her out in the yard or put her in her diaper and let her run around the house every day too.

What else can I add to the setup to keep her entertained? She certainly has fun snorting in her water dishes and chewing on her toys. I love waking up in the early morning to the sound of her cheeping and pushing toys around. I just want to make sure she's always happy and entertained.

So, these are a few photos of what I've got so far. Forgive the mess of feathers--she's molting like crazy!

^ Watching some Animal Planet.
big_smile.png
What an adorable pic. shows just how tiny Bunny is. ditto on Meal worms my flock loves them.

so cute and teeny! hmm.. i'd encourage foraging ability, peas? BOSS(sunflower seeds) etc. I'd keep convincing on that friend, another duck means they can groom, cuddle and so forth. As your already aware they are flock animals.
wink.png

Last edited:
Foraging sounds like a great idea! I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I can plant some little containers with grasses and other foods she likes and stick those in there.

Ditto ^

My housing arrangements will unfortunately be changing in about 10 months and I'm unsure if we will have a backyard! I have two ducks and would love to dedicate a space like this for them indoors. I would plan to give them baths in the tub. And, if we have one large enough, showers with me too (sounds like great bonding time!) But cleaning would be my main concern, if you could please share it would be greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom