What exactly is an Easter Egger?

Ok since i started this - sorry lol - An Easter egger on the loser term is a bird that lays colored eggs - a more tight description would be Ameracauna or Aracauna - correct?

No, not exactly. They all shared common ancestors and were all originally kept as one in the same and all called Araucanas in the US. The Araucanas and Ameraucanas now are distinct breeds, the product of selective breeding since the 1970's. While the EE's shared similar ancestors, they are a more loosely identified group. They have *not* been selectively bred. People over the years have continued to let them breed in any color variety and type (although most have very similar type) and have continued to outcross them to other breeds. Ameraucanas and Araucanas, in contrast to EE's, have been very much so selectively bred and standardized for certain traits, type, and colors.

Ok, so when the Araucauna and Ameraucauna was created in the US some were not selectivly bred. They became known as the Easter Egger because of the egg color but arent really a breed of their own. More a mix of the Araucauna and Ameraucauna from years before, bred to other breeds of chickens.

I thinkthats what I get out of it. - So my Blue is not an EE because he WAS selectively breed?????? I mean became a breed ( cream legbars???) However if he turns out to be a MUTT!!!!!! ( Legbar x) Then he would be EE because he has the blue egg gene?????? Because the Legbars were breed from Araucaunas???? Oh but that makes no sence because his legs are the wrong colour there yellow ????????? I really don;t get this gene stuff much at all.

Sorry if I am confusing folk here???
I'm confused????

Oesdog -
hmm.png

Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about Cream Legbars, but a mixed breed is a mixed breed. Not all mixed breeds are Easter Eggers and not all selectively bred birds are Araucanas or Ameraucanas. It is really not that hard to understand. An established breed is something that is approved by the APA or ABA for the most part or in the process or working towards approval. There are several breeds, varieties, and breeds/varieties working towards standardization. Likewise, there are numerous mixed breeds, most with no names at all. The term "Easter Egger" is one of the few terms for a non-standard/mixed breed chicken, most are not given a name even. The EE are simply birds that have some Araucana or Ameraucana blood (or shared the common ancestors of those now established breeds). That's all. It is really not complicated, even though it seems so at first. LOL. You will understand after awhile.

To be standardized, a breed has to have consistency. Standardized breeds are typically recognizable for a certain type (in basic terms, type is for the most part the shape of the body and physical characteristics) and color(s). Mixed breeds are not (recognizing of course, standardized varieties certainly can start as mixed breeds). Selective breeding just involves choosing birds that fit within the approved type and color (which are specified in writing in the Standard of Perfection or SOP as it is typically known and is much more involved than just egg color). Breeds that are working towards approval are also selectively bred. There you have it. Araucanas and Ameraucanas have gone through that stringent process of becoming approved. Easter Eggers never have simply because they vary too much in type and color and people still like to mix in other breeds, in part to create different eggs colors. Sometimes people also have a tendency to think that the standardized breeds of poultry are the older breeds that have been around longer than the non-standardized breeds/varieties. This is often the case, but not always. For example, Dutch Hookbills are one of the most ancient breeds of ducks, easily having been bred for over 200 years and they are *not* a standardized breed (and they also breed quite true to type and color).

Last edited:
Thanks City Chicker

I have to admit that it IS a bit confusing at first to understand - thus why i started this post - but your explanation really helped.

Back
Top Bottom