What exactly is my roo doing?

teeville5

Songster
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Michigan
Ok, I have a 15 week old RIR roo and yesterday when I let everyone out, he started to do something that he never did before. He was the first one out and as the ladies started to come out, he randomly started biting a few. He did this to about 4 of the 18 ladies. He would kind of run up to them, grab them by the back of the neck, and yank out a feather or two at which they would screech and run away from him. So I'm wondering is this an 'I am dominant' thing with him or is this the 'I want to have a go' hormones kicking in?

yes, he is just starting to want to breed the ladies, but he doesn't really get what to do yet
smile.png
the girls might not let him for a few more months and if he is the gentlemenly type he'll respect thier wishes. if not.... well you'll have some pretty beat up girls
hmm.png

Darn. That's what I thought. His crowing became regular this past week and I had a feeling the hormones would come right after that.
hmm.png

He is trying his best to figure it out today. He won't leave the ladies alone.
barnie.gif
Every so often I can hear one of them out there bokking like crazy. When I went out there, it was kind of funny because I was watching them from my deck and wherever he went, the ladies were scattering away.
D.gif
One, in fact, got right up in his face and started fighting him away from the others which made me worry for her because I don't want her hurt, but she's holding her own pretty good. Must be the defender of the group. Maybe I should name her Xena.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom