What, exactly, is "scratch"?

Me and Rich are friends and getting chickens at the same time, so he is just messing with me!
Thanks for the info everyone! (except Rich)

Chicks should be on chick starter until they reach 8 weeks (I believe..) than they should go on grower until they start laying. I wouldn't feed scratch until they are at least 8 weeks, and it isn't even recommended at all.
Oyster shell should not be fed until at least 20 weeks or so. Grit should be offered right away. Make sure it is grit meant for chicks.

I agree with this post, I do medicated starter until about 12 wks then grower until about 20 wks then layer feed...while they are still inside I fill a small dish/basin with sand that they can use to dustbathe in and as grit if they need it. Little chickies dustbathing always makes me laugh-have your camera ready!

I like to give them a little scratch daily after I move them outside as a afternoon snack and my run is sand so I don't supplement with grit. I mix oyster shell in with their scratch and that seems to provide enouch calcium-never had issues with soft shells.

Enjoy your new fuzzy butts - I am already working on my Spring wish list!
smile.png

I, too, am wondering what scratch is. If I went to the feed store would I ask for that? Scratch sounds like a "nickname" for something else.

Rich, no need to comment on my question
tongue.png

Yes, just ask for scratch - they'll know what it is. Just keep in mind it is a treat, not a feed (though depending on how well versed they are in such matters, even the folk at the feed store may tell you otherwise). Mine only get a handful thrown out to them occasionally when I think about it - its not a daily thing.

Scratch was originally sold before there were complete feeds available and it was meant to be a staple diet for birds that were truly free ranging. Free range birds can theoretically get lots of protein from bugs and stuff, so they don't need a high quality food. Scratch is much lower protein than is recommended for good health, usually only about 12 %. There are so many good quality feeds now people use scratch as a treat. Birds like to have a good old scratch about for the tasty grains. You should only use it sparingly. A handful is the recommended amount but obviously that is pretty variable and doesn't take into account the number of birds you have. Growing birds need higher protein than adults so giving them scratch will lower their total protein and maybe slow down their growth. I throw a bit on the ground in my adults run to get them to turn their litter over. Saves me raking it and works a treat, so to speak
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom