what feed do i give hens to lay more eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by omartorres, Dec 22, 2012.

1. omartorres

omartorres Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    Hi every one i was wondering is there a feed for hrns that make them lay more i have 13 game hens and i want them to lay more eggs i feed them chicken scratch thanks and merry christmas

2. morgan36

morgan36 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Southern Ohio
    I feed mine laying mash and I have 15 hens and I get 12 plus eggs a day and I also have a light in the coop to give the 14 hours of light a day

3. omartorres

Nov 6, 2011
    ok thank you

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Layer feed is higher in protein (crumbles or pellets) - 16% usually, while scratch is probably around 10% protein. Eggs are protein so if you feed layer you will probably have more eggs.

But also daylight hours make a difference (shorter days) as do general health and so on.

You can also feed a 20% feed such as FlockRaiser or unmedicated chick starter and cut it with your scratch to save money but make sure you give them greens (or they can eat grass) for the vitamins. I wouldn't cut it too much- maybe 50% of the feed at most to keep that protein level around 15%.

IF you are cutting layer feed (16% protein) with scratch don't cut it more than about 10% (total treats given).

**Scratch is just a supplement to a commercial layer feed in general, ideally.**

If you do feed FlockRaiser or unmedicated chick starter do offer oyster shells on the side for them. Make sure they have access to grit or free range for digesting whole grains (scratch).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Scratch by itself is not a balanced ration. Laying mash or pellets has more than twice as much protein, calcium for strong shells - the list goes on.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I X2 the advice of Bunnylady and ChickensAreSweet. Good luck to you and getting your girls to up their egg production.

7. omartorres

Nov 6, 2011
    thanks and merry christmas

8. shapaka

shapaka New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    i wan nw how to tret the chicken in your farm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by