What Feed do you use and Where do you get it?

leasmom

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
I think I'm having chicken envy or something...but every time I go and see someone elses chickens they are much larger than mine and I am thinking...what are you feeding them? Now I buy a regular non-medicated feed at my local feed store and they have Armada Brand feed with 18% crude protein. I just bought 7 HUGE hens from a guy that goes to Tractor Supply and uses Dumor brand.

So my question is...what do you use? Where do you get it? Online, local store, tractor supply, local Grainery, organic stores etc. This may help some of us who may be looking for another option.

Last edited:
I use Purinea Layena Feed.

Edit to add: I tried to switch one time to a cheaper feed and they gobbled it up like it was air. The feed might have been cheaper but they were eating it faster and I don't think absorbing as much nutrients so I switched back and they are much happier for it.
smile.png

Last edited:
Wow, really what is in the mix?

The Purina Layena, it has more natural greens mixed in from what I read. Mine has more animal protein, I think. My birds are healthy but leaner when you compare them to others. Is that a good thing though?

Last edited:
We purchase ours from a local milling company that makes their own feed and our chickens like it. I was using Layena but it became to be to expensive. I can buy 2 bags from the milling co. for the same price as one Layena.

this is the chick feed

the feed I have made has:

Pro Leader
CPC
Poultry supplement
corn
wheat

Its quite a bite less expensive than pre-made plus its fresh and helps the local farmers

I'm redoing my layer feed, It used to be corn, poultry supp. and calcium

Really. Thats like a guy I was talking too that told me what I was paying for feed, around $12 was very expensive. He said grainerys were cheaper but I don't know where to go in my area.

Buck Creek, whats Pro Leader & CPC?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom