What feed for mixed age flock?

greenmulberry

Songster
14 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Iowa
I have some year and a half old laying hens and I just recently got some 10 week old pullets who are just dying to mix in with the flock. They are separated now but I was planning on introducing them soon. I keep reading that feeding layer feed to chickens too young to lay will cause them health problems.

What should I feed them when they are together then? What do people who let their hens hatch out chicks and raise them in the flock feed?

Laura, I have several different age groups that free range together and have feed available at all times. I put out chick starter, layer pellets and game bird feed and they all eat each other's feed. Without separating all the poultry that is the best I can do and they are all thriving. Even the 13 day old chicks eat whatever and they have plenty of chick starter available.

It occured to me that my chickens eat so little actual feed due to the amount of treats, veggies, and grass they get, that maybe this just isn't an issue for me. The layers have oyster shell to eat and seem to be doing well, laying plenty of eggs with hard shells, but the bulk of the chickens diet is things other than layer feed. But I hardly ever have to add feed to the feeder.

This time of year I have so many tomatoes and overgrown cucs that the chickens get lots of them every day.

Purina has a product called Flock Raiser. It comes medicated and non-medicated and can be fed to all ages and types of poultry.

If you have to make a choice, it is OK to feed chick starter to layers. Just make sure there is oyster shell available for them.

If you have several choices of feed available, the birds will pick what they like, not necessarily what is best for them.

I went to the feed store and they had something called "All purpose" crumbles, 16% protien. The bag said it was designed to be fed to layers and as a grower and developer, and can be fed from 6 weeks through laying.

So that sounded like just what I needed. My chickens have free choice oyster shell too.

Oh, and I picked up some black oill sunflower seeds too as a treat!!!

Welcome, you are suppose to feed baby chicks medicated chick starter until a certain age and then start mixing in layer feed until they start laying eggs and switch to all layer feed. Type medicated feed into the search area and it should give you lots of advice.
gig.gif
It really helps your chicks during growth. But there are so many opinions you have to weigh them and decide what it is you want for them. Nothing is written in stone no matter what anyone says.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom