what feed

okay so i don’t if u saw in my page where i found a chicken and decided to take care of her for two weeks the lady who works at chicken rescue sent me food and it’s layer feed yet the chicken seems to be a month or 2 months old and is not close to laying eggs yet ? also i do have one of my chickens that have not laid an egg yet and she is the same age as the one who is laying
OK. A couple of points here.
Chickens don't all start laying at the same time, even if they are the same breed. It depends on many factors including just individual physical variation.

I *really* recommend you stop the layer feed for multiple reasons.
#1- Most layer feeds are lower in protein (16%) and younger birds need higher protein to develop properly.
#2- Layer feed has about 4x more calcium than is recommended for non-layers (young pullets, older hens, cockerels, when they stop laying in winter, etc.). It is not healthy in the long run for non-layers and can lead to serious joint pain, which I'm sure you don't want.

In fact, there are so many exceptions to when it is okay to use layer feed, that I finally stopped and switched to flock feed (18%+ protein) + oyster shell full time. No more switching feed types. Everyone can eat the flock feed and the layers can still get their calcium. The only issue is that very young birds need crumbles instead of full-sized pellets, but that is easily available.

I recommend you switch to flock feed ASAP, seal up the layer feed and use it up when they are all laying. One note on switching feeds. Chickens don't like change once they've found a routine, including food. When you want to switch feeds, mix some of the new in with the old so they can adjust to the new taste. Take a few days to a week to transition.

okay so i don’t if u saw in my page where i found a chicken and decided to take care of her for two weeks the lady who works at chicken rescue sent me food and it’s layer feed yet the chicken seems to be a month or 2 months old and is not close to laying eggs yet ? also i do have one of my chickens that have not laid an egg yet and she is the same age as the one who is laying
The issue with excess calcium from a layer formulation is cumulative (how much x how long), but most harmful to young chicks. As to why one of your chickens is laying and the other of the same age is not, might just be the breed. Some breeds will lay much earlier/later than others. And some individual chickens of the same breed will lay earlier/later than others, though the timing will be closer in that case.

OK. A couple of points here.
Chickens don't all start laying at the same time, even if they are the same breed. It depends on many factors including just individual physical variation.

I *really* recommend you stop the layer feed for multiple reasons.
#1- Most layer feeds are lower in protein (16%) and younger birds need higher protein to develop properly.
#2- Layer feed has about 4x more calcium than is recommended for non-layers (young pullets, older hens, cockerels, when they stop laying in winter, etc.). It is not healthy in the long run for non-layers and can lead to serious joint pain, which I'm sure you don't want.

In fact, there are so many exceptions to when it is okay to use layer feed, that I finally stopped and switched to flock feed (18%+ protein) + oyster shell full time. No more switching feed types. Everyone can eat the flock feed and the layers can still get their calcium. The only issue is that very young birds need crumbles instead of full-sized pellets, but that is easily available.

I recommend you switch to flock feed ASAP, seal up the layer feed and use it up when they are all laying. One note on switching feeds. Chickens don't like change once they've found a routine, including food. When you want to switch feeds, mix some of the new in with the old so they can adjust to the new taste. Take a few days to a week to transition.
this is a lot but will follow as said but then why did the lady send me that feed for the chicken that’s not even close to laying eggs

this is a lot but will follow as said but then why did the lady send me that feed for the chicken that’s not even close to laying eggs
I'm glad to hear it. Your chickens will end up much better off.

As @Brooks_ said, apparently she doesn't know any better. Layer feed is for active layers as they need a lot more calcium to create those egg shells. They even generally say on the bag that it should not be used before some number of months old.

As for "a lot", just follow the procedure I listed in the last paragraph. Most of the rest is explaining why the layer feed is a problem in your situation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom