what feed

jedanysuarez

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2023
hey, so I ran out of chicken feed and need to buy more but it’s far , so can’t go there. for now I have one local feed store but the guy doesn’t really help much and I’m still kind of new to the whole feeding thing. What should I get for my 10 month old chickens (basically 2) I have one that’s laying and one that is not laying yet.

You can get an all-flock feed. I feed an all flock feed to all my chickens. Every feed company has one, it may say all flock, flock raiser, flock maker. I feed oyster shell on the side for those laying.
okay got it

i do have oyster shell but got when my chickens where chicks so does oyster shell is expire ???

okay got it

i do have oyster shell but got when my chickens where chicks so does oyster shell is expire ???
No, it keeps for a good while. I'd just keep the bag sealed to keep moisture out.

Please note that @SueT mentioned "on the side". That is very important. Your chickens have very different calcium needs (layers vs non-layers). The layers will be much more interested in consuming the oyster shell. Let them regulate how much they eat automatically. Don't mix it in with their regular feed.

You can get an all-flock feed. I feed an all flock feed to all my chickens. Every feed company has one, it may say all flock, flock raiser, flock maker. I feed oyster shell on the side for those laying.
thank you a lot

No, it keeps for a good while. I'd just keep the bag sealed to keep moisture out.

Please note that @SueT mentioned "on the side". That is very important. Your chickens have very different calcium needs (layers vs non-layers). The layers will be much more interested in consuming the oyster shell. Let them regulate how much they eat automatically. Don't mix it in with their regular feed.
okay so i don’t if u saw in my page where i found a chicken and decided to take care of her for two weeks the lady who works at chicken rescue sent me food and it’s layer feed yet the chicken seems to be a month or 2 months old and is not close to laying eggs yet ? also i do have one of my chickens that have not laid an egg yet and she is the same age as the one who is laying

I personally go buy if they are laying they get layer feed and if they are just babies ( not laying ) chick starter feed. I really don't make things too complicated. :D
Did you have any trouble with the transition from chick starter to layer feed?

Back
Top Bottom