How often do you buy feed?

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
I will soon start feeding around 20 chickens, right now only 10 are adults, the rest are 1 month olds. But in a bit they will all be eating the same thing, grower.

Stores only sell the feed in bags of 22, 44, 110 pound bags. The larger the bags the cheaper each pound is of course, which would mean I get to save money, time, and gas going back and fourth to the feed store. I was buying the 44lb bags and finished it in around 3 weeks. Is it worth buying the 100lb bags?

Feed store is far from my place so less trips I do the better.

Thank you! I was just worried I would be storing the feed for too long, I have some helping hands here so the larger bags are not a problem :D.
At your current rate of feeding you would finish a 100 lb bag in 6 weeks, which assuming the feed is recently milled, would still be very fresh feed. As the younger birds grow up you'll be using up feed faster so being cost efficient is a good idea as long as you don't get so much feed that you can't use it up while it's still fresh.

Thank you! I was just worried I would be storing the feed for too long, I have some helping hands here so the larger bags are not a problem :D.
I usually aim for about 4 weeks but 6 weeks is acceptable storage time for me. My temperatures are only around 60 degrees F though.

Your usage time frame will still be shortening with the growing birds.

I'd get the 100# bag.

They can all eat grower now.. at least here in the US as that term "grower" formulation stands.. usually around 18% protein and 1% calcium. Another calcium source is always available free choice on the side for active layers.

I usually aim for about 4 weeks but 6 weeks is acceptable storage time for me. My temperatures are only around 60 degrees F though.

Your usage time frame will still be shortening with the growing birds.

I'd get the 100# bag.

They can all eat grower now.. at least here in the US as that term "grower" formulation stands.. usually around 18% protein and 1% calcium. Another calcium source is always available free choice on the side for active layers.
Ill switch them over when we run out of starter, thought the pellet shaped feed might be a bit too big for them but I think they'll do okay now

I normally buy 50 pound bags, but I just did a 100 pound sack and used my tractor to dump it in feed bins with latches on them. It was really helpful and, having 70 chickens, not going for almost 4 weeks was great! I recommend the 100 as long as you have means to move it and room to put it somewhere! 😊

I normally buy 50 pound bags, but I just did a 100 pound sack and used my tractor to dump it in feed bins with latches on them. It was really helpful and, having 70 chickens, not going for almost 4 weeks was great! I recommend the 100 as long as you have means to move it and room to put it somewhere! 😊
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Get the 40-50 pounders or the 100 pounders and store it in airtight critter-proof bins. a 33 gallon food-safe blue barrel will hold a 50 pound sack of feed and is made from thick ABS. You can get screw-on lids or the metal banded lids for them and as long as you keep them sealed they will stay dry and keep the critters out. Check your local feed store, or if you have a "tank and barrel" type place near you, check there. They run 40-90 dollars depending on how fancy you get with the lids.

Ill switch them over when we run out of starter, thought the pellet shaped feed might be a bit too big for them but I think they'll do okay now
Oh sorry, I was focused on nutrition and never thought about it being pelleted.. I was thinking more about the crumble. I mean I know I cannot BUT I'm always glad to be reminded that I HAVEN'T thought of everything, it's refreshing and keeps me grounded! :oops:

If the pellets are too large for the juveniles, they quickly turn into mash when water is added. My birds do seem to enjoy it served that way, really thick oatmeal consistency (whatever that means since I don't eat oatmeal) I used to do it on occasion for enrichment and they went crazy for it.. it's more full time now.. and the dry feed is tossed out on occasion "like" scratch as enrichment but without diminishing nutrients.

On the back of post #8.. whatever storage container gets used.. beware of any sweating or condensation regardless of container type, Moldy food is wasted. Grain produces heat and may be condensating between the wall and itself without you realizing, true story. Lots of technology or knowledge has gone into storage silos (maybe not an issue in warmer climates than mine but the information is shared, can you guess how I found out). Grain mites, etc.. may still be inside the "sealed" container IF it comes with the feed as they sometimes do (plenty of air exchange inside every time you open the seal).. The DE in some feeds is an anti caking agent at a legal rate of use (here in the US) being up to 2% and has little effect otherwise regarding pest control in my experience (at that rate with my ambient humidity) as I once accidentally used it for my mealworm/darkling beetle colony substrate before reading the label, with no fallout.

Back
Top Bottom