What feeder/ waterer do you guys use?

kristenschicken

Hatching
Mar 29, 2015
new to chickens and right now I'm using the feeder a got in a chicken starter kit and a basic pet waterer right now. Chickens keep getting shavings into the waterer which causes me to change the water all the time (very annoying) wondering what type of feeder and waterer you guys use and if it give you any troubles or not. Thanks!

Your best bet is to build the $5 bucket feeder (search for it here at BYC) and wither hang you waterer up off the ground or put it up on a cinder block. Be sure that it isn't too high for them to reach.

Last edited:
Your best bet is to build the $5 bucket feeder (search for it here at BYC) and wither hang you waterer up off the ground or put it up on a cinder block. Be sure that it isn't too high for them to reach.
Thanks for the information! I will look into it
smile.png

My God I just reread what I wrote and it is horrible. I'm glad you understood it.
roll.png
Sometimes our fingers just do their own thing don't they?
gig.gif

You can find the link to the bucket feeder and nipple waterer in my sig. From what I understand, you chicks may need to be 2 - 4 weeks old to be able to use the horizontal nipples. The vertical nipples are easier to use, but do make more of a mess the the horizontal ones. But, the verticales are still MUCH better than the flip waterers.

I'd definitely have recommend the nipple waterers, they're definitely the way to go. I use the vertical ones, haven't ordered any of the horizontal type yet. They're so much cleaner than the standard type waterers.

I'd definitely have recommend the nipple waterers, they're definitely the way to go. I use the vertical ones, haven't ordered any of the horizontal type yet. They're so much cleaner than the standard type waterers.
okay I saw them but didn't know if they would work or not, thank you!

I use the vertical nipples in a 5 gal pail. I keep mine outside the coop and I do see some leakage but since it's outside it's not a problem for me.

For my feeder I also use a 5gal bucket with a trigger for the chickens to activate when they want food.

Love them both, I have a heated version of the waterer for winter.

With 8 birds the two 5gal units can go 2weeks without intervention. Makes it real easy to take trips away and just ask a neighbor if they want some free eggs while we're gone.

i made a watering station using the nipples that they sell at tractor supply, but i used 1 1/2" pvc pipe, up to a 3" adaptor, first pre drill the holes the package calls for, next i found a bolt that was the same threads as the nipple, heated it with a tourch and threaded the pipe for each nipple, then i used permatex (silicone) around the nipple to make sure they didnt leak, what a difference i fill my five gallon jug once a week for my two laying hens.It works just like a water dispencer, air tight, water tight, and bubbles when the water gets used in the pipe. went from a daily chore to a weekly pleasure., my 20 other youngsters use 5 gallons every 8 or 9 days. the feeders save a bunch of feed

I use a regular chicken waterer and put it up on a block to keep it about chest high. I even do the same for the chicks so they can't get everything in the water. For feed I built one out of PVC. I got the video off youtube.

Back
Top Bottom