What feeders and waterers do y'all use?

theuglychick

Crowing
May 3, 2016
Louisiana
My feeders and waterers are relatively new, about 1.5 years old, but they're falling apart.

I have a few heritage farms metal bucket style feeders from TSC and some plastic hen hydrator 3 gallon bucket style waterers from TSC with the nipples attached.
IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

None of this is out in the elements but my waterers are already dry rotting and the springs in my feeders where the little "arms" attach the bottom pan to the top bucket keep breaking. My life is starting to resemble an infomercial when it comes time to refilling.

What do y'all recommend that will last me at least a couple of years?

I use a 1 gallon feed pan for water and food in winter. In summer, I toss food on the ground and have duck pools out for water.

They last a long time. I have owned chickens for 4ish years and I've used the same pans that were used for many years before I took over the birds from my neighbour.

I use a bucket with nipples, too, and a PVC feeder. I just got chicks here in CA, but used the others for 4 or 5 years in Idaho without any issues. It's probably a lot less humid where I was than where you are but I wouldn't think that would matter with the PVC feeder.

I use a 1 gallon feed pan for water and food in winter. In summer, I toss food on the ground and have duck pools out for water.

They last ages. I have owned chickens for 4ish years and I've used the same pans that were used for many years before I took over the birds from my neighbour.

I might have to switch to just pans. Do you have issue with fire ants when putting food directly on the ground? Also, it rains frequently here so food would be in mud a lot of the time.

When you say duck pools do you mean like kiddie pools? That's an idea but also potential mosquito breeding ground

I use a bucket with nipples, too, and a PVC feeder. I just got chicks here in CA, but used the others for 4 or 5 years in Idaho without any issues. It's probably a lot less humid where I was than where you are but I wouldn't think that would matter with the PVC feeder.

PVC is an idea. Those should last for a while. Do you have any issues with them scratching food out or rain splashing back up in it?

I might have to switch to just pans. Do you have issue with fire ants when putting food directly on the ground? Also, it rains frequently here so food would be in mud a lot of the time.

When you say duck pools do you mean like kiddie pools? That's an idea but also potential mosquito breeding ground
No fire ant problems. What I do is just give them as much food as they'll eat in a few hours and then feed them the same in the afternoon. I want them slightly hungry since they'd be the most helpful eating bugs and weeds.

Just staying with winter arrangement all the time would likely work best for you. Yes, kiddie pools, and I empty them daily. Also, I have ducks, so the water isn't left undisturbed for long at all & any potential landers will probably be turned into a snack.

PVC is an idea. Those should last for a while. Do you have any issues with them scratching food out or rain splashing back up in it?

I found much less waste with them throwing food out of the PVC feeder (I've only used the upright ones with one feeding hole as I've only had a few hens at a time) and they've always been in the coop area so out of the elements.

I provide dry feed in a hanging feeder with a DIY plastic guard that somebody else here on BYC posted a while back, but I also like to give wet feed about twice a day. (I've done fermented feed in the past, just not doing it currently.) This summer, I installed a 10' rain gutter for their wet feed, with a few holes strategically drilled for drainage - and I LOVE it! Not sure what winter will bring, but I'm game - best $4 investment ever.

As for water, that's more problematic; I would love to switch over to a pvc pipe/nipple system, but I can't get the older girls to go along with it. Chicks that grew up with it are great with it, so I do have a few nipple-waterers coke bottles & one cooler around for them. Otherwise, it's just large pans with rocks or bricks holding them down. They love standing in them on hot days just as much as drinking from them!

Rain Gutter Feeder.JPG TapNDrink Cooler.JPG

There a hole in my bucket dear Liza dear Liza. Well fix it dear Henry dear Henry
lol
This is what I have
IMG_8375.PNG

Works great you can get it in s 5 gal bucket, if I were to do it again I would just order the horizontal nipples and but a bucket and make it my self. As for long term use I don't know yet this is my first goround, with this waters I don't have any leaks and in winter I plan on putting a de over in it

This is for our feed
IMG_8263.JPG

It is pvc, feed stays clean has a cap on top, easy to refill chickens spill some feed but not a ton they are good at eating it from off the ground

Back
Top Bottom