what fencing for guinea enclosure?

sunnie7

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 24, 2016
Southern Indiana
Let me just start off by saying I raise my guineas very differently than my chickens!!! My chicken coop is done right with hardware cloth all around and automatic door...my guineas are for tick control and they free range 100% of the time when old enough. However foxes and raccoons have taken a huge toll on us so I’m wanting to pen them up at night. I’ve put a dog kennel under the front part of this playhouse for raising my keets in but I think I’m going to put something around the whole thing to lock them up at night....any suggestions on fencing?! They roost up high underneath.

933C6820-607E-49BF-876B-E3174047FCDB.jpeg

Same as you chickens. Allow no opportunity to dig,climb, squeeze or reach through. Some use electric fence. We have hard cloth floor and run. Make sure your doors and windows can't be defeated by a raccoon. Boards can't be pried or clawed apart. If they can reach in and grab, you'll have a dead bird whether it gets a meal or not.

Let me just start off by saying I raise my guineas very differently than my chickens!!! My chicken coop is done right with hardware cloth all around and automatic door...my guineas are for tick control and they free range 100% of the time when old enough. However foxes and raccoons have taken a huge toll on us so I’m wanting to pen them up at night. I’ve put a dog kennel under the front part of this playhouse for raising my keets in but I think I’m going to put something around the whole thing to lock them up at night....any suggestions on fencing?! They roost up high underneath.

View attachment 2238916
Are you trying to cover the existing fencing with something, or to build a perimeter fence around your current open air coop fencing?

Are you trying to cover the existing fencing with something, or to build a perimeter fence around your current open air coop fencing?

Just trying to cover the open part in the back. The gate for the dog kennel that’s already there is in the front so I’ll have to add a gate into it somewhere. So they will be two separate pens. Smaller front one will be what I use it for from, grower one for the keets when they are feathered out until they are around 8 weeks and I start slowly letting a little part of the group out at a time. Then I’ll use the back part to lock up adults at night. This is there my free ranging adults were roosting at night until a raccoon came and got 2 of the keets. Since then I expanded the hardware cloth higher and wehave raccoon traps out. have caught 2 so far. I’m down to one lonely adult that is roosting on the kids basketball goal right by the house. When I was down to two they were roosting on my back deck and that was very messy! I booted them off enough I guess they got the point.I haven’t let my 8 week old ones out for night yet, just evenings. will probably do that around 10 weeks but what I don’t want to happen is for them to follow the adult and be roosting on the house or my deck!!
I’ve been feeding the adult right under the playhouse right before dark and he sticks around there all day so I don’t think I’ll have much trouble getting him to go in there at night once it’s enclosed.
F004BF6A-3D71-47CC-895B-998467C6E6E5.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom