Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Hope Mills, NC
I have been told

treated plywood is best
untreated plywood is best
OSB is best
grass is best (will be run, but want SOMETHING for coop section)
and others suggest hardware mesh...

What is best for a large tractor?

Everyone has their own opinion. What do you think is best? Why are you building a tractor in the first place? What weather will you have when your chickens are in it? How concerned are you with weight?

I have plywood with linoleum on it. It works great for me. My whole floor slides out the back for VERY easy cleaning. My tractor is also very heavy and needs to keep the chickens isolated from the cold weather as they are in it all year.

Hardware cloth sounds great for weight, but not good for protection from sub zero temperatures. OSB sure wouldn't be good if you're going organic. The choice is up to you.

Quote:
I live in NC. At hottest it gets to 100 and a few nights ago I think we got to 18. The tractor is going t be heavy. I like plywood, since dogs can't get through as easily.

Mine ended up being VERY heavy too, but am now thankful that it is with all the wind we have been having...I know where to go if a tornado heads our way cause that thing won't budge! I can post a pic of it if you like. the run on mine doesn't have a floor so they can be right on the ground. I put an apron of hardware cloth around the tractor to prevent critters from digging in.

Back
Top Bottom